The main areas of research and group leaders are
- Structural Dynamics (Dr P. Lestuzzi)
- Applied computing (Prof. I. Smith)
- Active structures (Prof. I. Smith)
There are no rigid boundaries between groups; they signify only centres of competence. Several existing projects already include methods and techniques of more than one group. Many other synergies are expected in the future.
- Promote analytic and intuitive understanding of the mechanical behavior of structures.
- Demonstrate appropriate applications of information technology to young students.
- Provide courses and documentation on structural monitoring technology, computer aided engineering and structural dynamics to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Offer courses at postgraduate levels on advanced informatics and communication for research engineers