The EPFL institutional site is consolidated under a single tree structure. The three main entries “Education”, “Research” and “Innovation” highlight the three missions of the School, while “About” and “Campus” offer a general presentation of the School and life on the extended campus.
Some pages depart from this rule:
- the laboratories, visible under epfl.ch/labs
- the internal pages under inside.epfl.ch
- temporary events and events
- applications such as people, news, plan, etc.
- applications and sites reserved for internal audiences
What you need to know about urls
- The network service manages all the addresses of the .epfl.ch domain and complies with the relevant guidelines, which can be found at polylex.epfl.ch and are currently being revised (planned for Sept. 2020).
- All websites of EPFL units and projects are included in the field www.epfl.ch (exceptions: inter-institutional projects, nccr projects).
- An address of .epfl.ch domain can not point to a site hosted outside EPFL. To obtain a waiver, write to [email protected] .
- The request must be made by an EPFL employee. Students can not request web addresses.
Using a correct address is essential: the chosen name is going to have a high impact on search engine results.
- All EPFL websites are composed of exactly three parts: http://<word>.epfl.ch. Any other writing (e.g. http://www.<word>.epfl.ch) are not accepted and will never work (even if you have printed 1,000 overpriced leaflets with the error on them).
- Proper names are not accepted either (e.g. http://john-doe.epfl.ch). The people.epfl.ch service is available for all people related to EPFL with an address of the form http://people.epfl.ch/firstname.lastname.
- The address must not be a common word, in English or French, linked to research or education. If the requested URL relates to something that may concern several EPFL units, they must reach an agreement as to the content of the webpage.
- The URL must be between 2 and 24 characters, and be composed of lower-case letters, digits and the “-” (dash) character.
People who wish to obtain or have bought a domain name outside of the epfl.ch domain (e.g. www.word.ch) must read and follow the corresponding EPFL directive, and then ask the [email protected]. Websites hosted on campus but with an outside-epfl domain name cannot work without additional work from our network team.
What to put inside the request ?
1. A description of your website, including justification as to it’s correspondence to the above directives.
2. The contact person for the domain name (name, email and phone number).
What to do once the request is accepted ?
1. If it is not yet the case, you must register your domain name.
- For domains in .ch and .li, please use nic.ch.
- For other domain names, you may use the registrar of your choice.
- The two DNS servers to use are:
– 184.108.40.206 stisun1.epfl.ch
– 220.127.116.11 stisun2.epfl.ch
2. Finally, send a request to [email protected] to activate your domain name.