Page or Post
If you do not know the difference between page and post or if you are hesitant to use one or the other, please read this information.
In a nutshell
- From the horizontal WP menu, choose Create > Page
- Give a title to the page
- Add the desired content
- In the page attributes, specify the parent page
- Click on Publish or Save Draft
Important: Then add your page to the menu so that it is visible on your site
Adding a page
There are several ways to create pages. You can
- Choose Create > Page from the horizontal WP menu
- Move the mouse over the Pages button in the sidebar and click on the Add button
- Click on the Pages button in the sidebar, then click on the Add button in the upper corner of the page list
- Click on the Set featured image link
- Select an image in the Media library or click on Upload Files and select an image.
- Then click on the Set featured image button. The image now appears in the Featured Image box
In the absence of an excerpt, the beginning of the page is used by the blocks mentioned. Adding an excerpt also allows you to control exactly which text will be displayed in a Page highlight or a Page teaser. According to your choice, the content of the extract can be either
- The beginning of the content of the page (to avoid a sentence being cut abruptly in a Page highlight or a Page teaser).
- A summary of the content of the page
To add an excerpt
- If necessary, click on the Document tab to activate it.
- Click on Excerpt and then in the field insert the text
Choice of language
Once the page is created, the default language is proposed. If you want to start editing your new page in the other language, proceed as follows:
- In the Languages block, click on the drop-down menu and choose another one from those managed on your site
- Parent Page : You should specify a parent page.
WordPress uses this information to build the URL of the page, using the same URL as the parent page.
The page level is visible in the page list.
The indication of the parent page has no impact on the creation of the menu.
- Order : You can set a numerical value to determine how you want the page to appear in the page list.
For example: leaving it as “0” means that it will be the first page of your list. If other pages are also set to “0”, the hierarchy will be published either in chronological order or in alphabetical order (default). If you put a “1” in this box, all pages with a value of “0” will come first, etc
By default, changes are published immediately.
- To publish a new page click on
- To continue editing your work and publish it later, click on
Note: this option is only available for new pages (= those that have never been published, it is not available for modified pages)
- To publish a page at a later date, click on the Immediately link next to the Publish option, set a date and click outside the calendar to validate
Then, click on
Pages are not automatically added to the menu, it is up to the webmaster to do so. Here’s how to add a page to the main menu