at the Library
The Library and its services are at the disposal of the EPFL students, lecturers and researchers, as well as interested members of the public. This page is dedicated to the services for Physics (School of Basic Sciences).
The Library provides specific customised training, one-to-one or class-based
- Presentation of the services to the teaching/research staff and to students
- Modules on the advanced search for information, citation
The Library, via Infoscience, provides support for posting EPFL publications online
- Help with importing publications
- On-site training (laboratories, administration offices) for familiarising oneself with Infoscience
- Help with exporting data to a personal page, a laboratory page
The Library can also advise you on the following topics:
BEAST is the search tool of the EPFL library. It allows one to do an exhaustive search in the printed and electronic collections.
Several copies of the books dedicated to teaching are systematically bought with, if possible, access to the online version. We strongly urge you to notify us of any new references to course material.
Books at a more in-depth level supplement this collection. Some publishers’ packages are also available online:
- Books edited by Springer since 1997 in Physics (more than 4,400 titles accessible)
- Landau and Lifshitz collection: Vol 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8; 9; 10
- SPIE digital library : Books edited since 1989, SPIE proceedings
Dictionaries and Encyclopaedias
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. / David R. Lide, ed.
- Dictionnaire de physique : 5600 termes, index anglais-français, traduction anglaise de chaque terme. 2e éd. / Richard Taillet, Loïc Villain, Pascal Febvre — De Boeck
- arXiv.org: Electronic preprint server (physics, mathematics, non-linear science, computer science).
- INSPEC: Search for articles in physics, electrical engineering, electronics, computer science
- The SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS)
- Springer Materials – The Landolt-Börnstein Database
- Scopus: Search for articles on science, social sciences, arts and humanities.
- Web of Science – WoS: Science Citation Index Expanded + Social Sciences Citation Index + Arts and Humanities Citation Index.
Collections of journals
15 leçons de mécanique quantique. Jean-Louis Basdevant. Louvain-la-Neuve: Louvain-la-Neuve: De Boeck supérieur, 2019. [Print]
Accessory to war: the unspoken alliance between astrophysics and the military. Neil deGrasse Tyson; Avis Lang. New York, London: New York, London: W. W. Norton & Company, 2019. [Print]
Encyclopedia of Planetary Landforms. Henrik Hargitai; Ákos Kereszturi. Springer New York, 2014. [Online]
End times: a brief guide to the end of the world: asteroids, supervolcanoes, rogue robots, and more. Bryan Walsh. New York: New York: Hachette Books, 2019. [Print]
Meeting the universe halfway: quantum physics and the entanglement of matter and meaning. Karen Michelle Barad. Duke University Press, 2006. [Online]
See more in BEAST: