at the Library
The Library and its services are at the disposal of the EPFL students, lecturers and researchers, as well as interested members of the public. This page presents the services designed for the section of architecture (School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering).
The Library provides specific customised training, one-to-one or class-based.
- Presentation of the services to the teaching/research staff and to students
- Modules on the advanced search for information, citation, information management tools
The Library, via Infoscience, provides support for posting EPFL publications online :
- Help with importing publications
- On-site training (laboratories, administration offices) for familiarising oneself with Infoscience
- Help with exporting data to a personal page, a laboratory page
The Library can also advise you on the following topics:
The Library offers a wide choice of documents, in printed or electronic format, in the fields of architecture and urban planning. All these documents are accessible via our BEAST catalogue. The Library is subscribed to several databases that enable you to find different types of informations such as:
- bibliographic references of journal articles and technical reports
- full text journal articles
- plans and technical information
- photographs and videos
Every database has its own search interface that is sometimes quite complex to use. If you need help, contact us: we are happy to answer your questions and we are happy to organise traning in one or other tool.
Architecture and Urban Planning:
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals : Search for articles on architecture, planning, urban planning, conservation of the built environment and landscape architecture published since 1934 in journals worldwide.
- ArchiRès : Search for documents on architecture, urban planning and landscape architecture (books, reports, articles in periodicals) listed by the libraries of the National Superior Schools of Architecture and Landscape (ENSA) of France.
- Building Types Online : Search of documents (technical drawings, professional plans, photographs and articles) about a large international collection of contemporary buildings (e.g. housing, office buildings, museums, schools, libraries, industrial complexes), comprising more than 850 international case studies from mostly the past 30 years.
- Detail Inspiration : Provides more than 2400 architectural projects carried out over the last 30 years and published in the magazine of the same name. Photographs, descriptive texts on the buildings, their plans and a selection of technical drawings are presented for each project.
- OnArchitecture : Audiovisual database (videos, photos etc.) offering a global panorama of the main architects and architectural works, experiences and issues associated with the field of architecture.
- TRANSFER Global Architecture : Series of articles online, exploring new ways to show and experiment architecture with digital media.This young free platform, based in Zürich, is a new editorial project with the ambition to produce and transmit original architectural knowledge.
Arts and Humanities:
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index – A&HCI (in Web of Science) : Search for articles in the field of arts and humanities.
- Art & Humanities full text : Access to full text publications dedicated to applied arts and cultural studies.
- TRID: Transport Research International Documentation : The largest online bibliographic database of transport research.
You will also find a lot of information and publications in the fields of architecture and urban planning on the internet. Here are some links that we have selected.
Resources on architecture
- archINFORM. International databasease on architecture, identifying projects completed or not.
- arch daily International present-day situation in architecture
- Pritzkerprize.com. “Nobel Prize” for architecture
- Cité de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine
- Great Buildings Collection
Resources on urban planning
Selection of resources of the federal and cantonal administration :
- ARE – Federal Office for Spatial Development – Documentation: online access to ARE publications: press releases, newsletters, reports, factual data.
- OFS – Federal Statistical Office : various ways of accessing statistical information:
- “Statistique suisse” portal : portal giving access, on a single site, to the main statistical information on Switzerland from the statistical services of the Confederation, the cantons and the local authorities.
- Statistical Encyclopaedia of Switzerland : central and only directory for disseminating electronic files published by the Federal Statistics Office (and some of its partners in official Swiss statistics) and available to download for free.
- STAT-TAB – interactive data: easy and individualised access to statistical data: variables can be selected, combined and exported in different very well-known formats in order to rework the data locally
- The OFS publications, e-files on some topics and old volumes of the Statistical yearbook of Switzerland (1891- 1957) are also available online.
- FOEN – Federal Office for the Environment: access to information and publications on topics connected with urban planning (activities that impact on the landscape: planning, mobility, tourism etc.).
- Vaud – Territorial development service – list of publications
- Genève – Spatial planning and urban planning – list of publications
- Fribourg – Buildings and development service – documentation
- Jura – Territorial development service
- Neuchâtel – Spatial planning service
- Valais – Territorial development service – documentation
Other resources in Switzerland and abroad
- ASPAN – Association Suisse pour l’aménagement national
- Créville – Centre de ressources électroniques sur les villes : edited by the Maison des Sciences de l’Homme Val de Loire , Créville offers a selection of resources (texts and multimedia) of interest to players on the urban research stage, but also to professionals active in town matters. The new engine also hoovers up open access filings of the major documentary operators in the humanities and social science such as HAL, l’IRD, Revues.org, Persée and Cairn.
Subject areas, Call numbers (starting with) and Locations :
- Construction, materials : 690 (Arts et Architecture)
- Arts, fine arts : 700 (Arts et Architecture)
- Town planning and spatial planning : 711 (Arts et Architecture)
- Landscape architecture : 712 (Arts et Architecture)
- Architecture : 720 (Arts et Architecture)
- Buildings, typology : 725 (Arts et Architecture)
- Housing, vernacular architecture : 728 (Arts et Architecture)
- Drawing, design, furniture : 740 (Arts et Architecture)
- Geography : 911 (Sciences et Société)
- Transport : 656 (Sciences et Techniques)
Several copies of the books recommended by the lecturers for the courses at Bachelor’s
and Master’s level are on offer in the Teaching Collection.
Some titles are also available in electronic format. These eBooks are accessible by default on the EPFL campus and remotely via VPN access.
Main eBook Collection :
- De Gruyter Architecture & Design / Arts
- Taylor & Francis Architecture / Urban studies
- Birkhäuser Basics Online
- Birkhäuser Bauwelt Fundamente
The collection of periodicals in Architecture and Urban Planning is made up of titles, in printed and electronic format, which can be found in the BEAST catalogue of the Library.
The printed journals are housed in the section “Revues. Arts et Architecture” for the current subscriptions (past 10 years). The older journals are stored in the basement, in the section “Sous-sol. Périodiques d’architecture”.
The journals are reserved for on-site consultation. Photocopiers and scanners are available to make copies.
Some examples of Printed journals :
- Annales de la recherche urbaine
- Docomomo Journal (new)
- Le Moniteur Architecture – AMC
Some examples of Electronic journals :
The EPFL Library offers a collection of geographical maps of Switzerland, in printed and electronic format, as well as links to external websites offering geodata.
More information on maps and geodata
The EPFL Library makes standards available and offers privileged access to ENAC staff for the SIA standards.
More information on standards
The degree and Master’s dissertations of the Architecture section are listed in the institutional archive Infoscience and in the catalog BEAST. You can consult them at the Library (up to 5 documents simultaneously). Submissions filed since 2003 are available in digital format : Infoscience collection of Master’s dissertations in Architecture.