LGBTIQ+ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer and everyone else who feels part of this community.
EPFL wishes to create an inclusive campus culture that not only protects its LGBTIQ+ students and employees, but also allows them to thrive – regardless of gender expression, gender identity and sexual orientation. This webpage offers some information about your rights and about whom you can contact for support or more information.
A brochure of the Law Clinic of University of Geneva, updated in September 2019, provides the main information about the rights of LGBT persons in Switzerland (only available in French). It tries to answer the main legal questions LGBT people have, but it does not replace the advice of a lawyer or the support of associations.
In 2020, the Swiss Criminal Code was strengthened and extended to cover protection against discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation (entry into force on 1 July 2020).
Change of name and gender
An amendment to the Swiss Civil Code provides that transgender persons or persons with a variation in sexual development will be able to have their sex and first name changed quickly and simply in the civil register. A simple declaration to the civil status office will suffice for this purpose, without the need for prior medical examinations or other conditions. This change is expected to come into effect in the course of 2021.
Some Swiss universities have already simplified the procedure. At ETH Zurich and at University of Lausanne for example, students and employees can change their family name or salutation and first name within the university without an official name change and without a medical certificate.
At EPFL, discussions on a simplification of the existing procedures are ongoing.
Contacts @ EPFL
- Equal Opportunities Office offering advice
- Student affairs offering individual support and advice to students
- Student services offering advice to students for academic procedures
- Human Resources offering support to employees
- Planqueer, LGBTQ+ student association of UNIL and EPFL
References and Ressources
Associations and organizations active in Vaud
- Checkpoint (centre de santé pour les hommes qui ont des rapports sexuels avec des hommes, ainsi que pour les personnes trans et leurs proches)
- Familles Arc-en-ciel
- InterAction, Association Suisse pour les intersexes
- Lilith, Association romande de femmes homosexuelles
- Lwork, Réseau professionnel de femmes homosexuelles
- Network (gay leadership)
- PAV, Pôle Agression et Violence (association vaudoise d’aide et de soutien aux personnes victimes de violences avec impacts sur la sphère intime)
- Pink Cross, Fédération suisse des hommes* gais et bi
- Trans welcome
- Transgender network Switzerland, brochure (only in French or German)
- VoGay, Association vaudoise pour la diversité sexuelle et de genre
Associations and organizations active elsewhere in Switzerland
- Epicène, Association en faveur des personnes trans
- Fédération genevoise des associations LGBT
- LOS, Organisation des lesbiennes suisses
- queer+z, Queer association of Zurich universities (ETH & UniZH)
- 360, Association LGBT+
Information (only in French)