Fundamentals of Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM) Imaging and Spectroscopy
June 21-26, 2020
EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
Registration deadline: MARCH 31, 2020
Please note that since the capacity is limited, we might close the registration earlier.
Only 5 seats available
The CIME Summer Workshop on Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy will be held June 21-26, 2020 at the main campus of EPFL in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The CIME Summer Workshop is an intensive 5-day workshop that includes lectures as well as hands-on trainings concerning different STEM imaging and spectroscopy techniques. The workshop will cover fundamentals of STEM, basic and advanced STEM imaging (ABF, ADF, iDPC, and 4D STEM), aberration-corrected STEM imaging and simulation, as well as acquisition and analysis of electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS) and energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (EDX) data.
The students will be provided with the several opportunities for hands-on training on the transmission electron microscopes, including a ThermoScientific aberration-corrected Titan-Themis. All practical sessions will be guided by electron microscopy experts of EPFL.
Who should attend CIME Summer Workshop on STEM?
We intend to cover the basics of STEM imaging and spectroscopy for the researchers who would like to use these techniques in their research, and either have no or little experience with STEM. So, if you have no idea about STEM, don’t worry! This workshop is for you. And if you know how to acquire STEM data, but you feel like you need to understand them better, or you have difficulties interpreting them, again this workshop is a great choice for you!
• STEM theory and instrumentation
• STEM imaging, from basic to advanced
• Aberrations and aberration correction in STEM
• Quantitative STEM and STEM image simulation
• EELS: basic principles, data acquisition and processing
• EDX: basic principles, data acquisition and processing
• HyperSpy and independent component analysis
- The deadline for registration is March 31, 2020. Please note that since the capacity is limited, we might close the registration earlier.
You can register for the course through this link:
The number of participants is limited to 30 and a decision on the participation will be taken at the mid of April 2020. Selected participants will be contacted to organize the payment. For questions about registration, please contact [email protected].
- Participation fees:
- • 420 CHF for Master/PhD students and post-docs from EPFL, ETHZ, EMPA, PSI and CSEM
• 560 CHF for other academic researchers from EPFL, ETHZ, EMPA, PSI and CSEM
• 560 CHF for Master/PhD students, post-docs, and other academic researchers from other institutions
• 2,000 CHF for industry researchers
Registration fees include tuition, lunches and coffee breaks through the week, and special events. We will confirm the participation of students coming from institutions outside of Switzerland after all fees have been paid. Please note that any bank transfer fees must be covered by the participant.
- Rooms are available at the SwissTech hotel at a negotiated rate on a first come first serve basis and will be the responsibility of the individual (booking and costs).
Further information will be given to accepted participants.