Fundamentals of Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM) Imaging and Spectroscopy
EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
Postponed due to the pandemic
Due to the worldwide situation caused by the outbreak of COVID-19, CIME workshop will not be held this summer. We will see how the situation evolves, and as soon as things are back to normal, we will find a plan for rescheduling the workshop, probably in the fall 2020 or spring 2021.
The CIME workshop is an intensive 5-day workshop that includes lectures as well as hands-on training concerning different STEM imaging and spectroscopy techniques. The workshop will cover fundamentals of STEM, basic and advanced STEM imaging (ABF, ADF, iDPC, and 4D STEM), aberration-corrected STEM imaging and simulation, as well as acquisition and analysis of electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS) and energy-dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (EDX) data.
The students will be provided with several opportunities for hands-on training on the transmission electron microscopes, including a ThermoScientific aberration-corrected Titan-Themis. All practical sessions will be guided by electron microscopy experts of EPFL.
Who should attend CIME Workshop on STEM?
We intend to cover the basics of STEM imaging and spectroscopy for the researchers who would like to use these techniques in their research, and either have no or little experience with STEM. So, if you have no idea about STEM, don’t worry! This workshop is for you. And if you know how to acquire STEM data, but you feel like you need to understand them better, or you have difficulties interpreting them, again this workshop is a great choice for you!
• STEM theory and instrumentation
• STEM imaging, from basic to advanced
• Aberrations and aberration correction in STEM
• Quantitative STEM and STEM image simulation
• EELS: basic principles, data acquisition and processing
• EDX: basic principles, data acquisition and processing
• HyperSpy and independent component analysis
The number of participants is limited to 30 and a decision on the participation will be taken 60 days before the event starts. Selected participants will be contacted to organize the payment. For questions about registration, please contact [email protected].
- Participation fees:
- • 420 CHF for Master/PhD students and post-docs from EPFL, ETHZ, EMPA, PSI and CSEM
• 560 CHF for other academic researchers from EPFL, ETHZ, EMPA, PSI and CSEM
• 560 CHF for Master/PhD students, post-docs, and other academic researchers from other institutions
• 2,000 CHF for industry researchers
Registration fees include tuition, lunches and coffee breaks through the week, and special events. We will confirm the participation of students coming from institutions outside of Switzerland after all fees have been paid. Please note that any bank transfer fees must be covered by the participant.
- Rooms are available at the SwissTech hotel at a negotiated rate on a first come first serve basis and will be the responsibility of the individual (booking and costs).
Further information will be given to accepted participants.