Chemical Authorisation

Particularly Dangerous Chemicals

The use of hazardous substances is under authorisation. It is advisable to substitute the toxic chemical for a less dangerous one, but it is not always possible.

These particularly hazardous chemicals include chemicals who classified as category 1 regarding their acute toxicity, or carcinogenicity, mutagenicity, reproductive toxicity (CMR), single exposure specific target organ toxicity (STOT-SE), as well as highly reactive chemicals, such as strong oxidizers.

Examples of substances under authorisation (non-exhaustive list):

  • Solvents (benzene, carbon tetrachloride, trichloroethylene)
  • Reagents (aflatoxins, formaldehyde, sodium azide, TMAH, dimethyl sulphate, p-phenylenediamine etc.)
  • Metals and their salts (lead, nickel, cadmium, chromates, arsenic, mercury, beryllium, osmium tetroxide)
  • Cyanide salts
  • Acids (picric acid, nitric acid, perchloric acid, hydrofluoric acid)

Always check the safety data sheet (SDS) of your chemicals substances prior to using them.

To buy and use these dangerous substances, an authorisation must be acquired from the SCC. 

Authorisation procedure

  1. The request form can be filled completely online via the Authorisation Request.
  2. The professor/lab head approves the request that is then transferred to SCC.
  3. When the SCC has received the request, we contact the requester for a work place visit.
  4. An authorisation is given only when the previous steps have been completed.
  5. The user validates the authorisation and the conditions.
  6. The authorisation is then used to order the substance through the purchasing platform Catalyse.

The SCC recommends users to report the use of all chemicals that are classified as highly toxic.

Forbidden substances

List of substances that are forbidden in Switzerland.

Drugs and precursors

The purchase and use of drugs or drug precursors is forbidden. These substances are under the authorisation of SWISSMEDIC.

For FSB the SWISSMEDIC representative is Sandrine Gerber.