If you need to transport hazardous material between EPFL laboratories or buildings, these transports must be organized to mitigate any risk. The following recommendations apply to the transport of hazardous material on EPFL campuses.
In case of accident
Call 115 from an EPFL phone or 021 693 30 00 from a mobile phone.
Evacuate the area and alert others to the danger.
Wait for the intervention team to arrive. Only the trained and equipped intervention team can intervene in case of an emergency.
Hazardous materials include all materials labelled with GHS hazard pictograms, mixtures and special waste produced at EPFL.
- Only stable substances can be transported.
- Transports must be organized such that any accidental shocks, falls, and spills are avoided.
- Hazardous material must be separated according to its incompatibilities.
- For any transport, protective personal equipment must be worn (trousers, closed shoes et safety goggles).
- Whenever possible, transport the hazardous material in its original packaging. In all cases, the transport criteria below must be respected.
- Plan your path according to the transport means. The total weight (load + transport mean) must not exceed the maximum tolerated weight on ground.
|Box, retention tray
|Cart or trolley
|>30 L flammable liquid
|Not allowed in lift
Have a look at our cryogenics page.
Have a look at our gas page.