Healthy staff and a safe work environment are essential to EPFL's mission of excellence. The occupational health team specializes in the interactions between human beings and their professional environment. Its goal is to promote and protect the health and well-being of the entire EPFL community, whatever their activities or workspace (lab, workshop, desk or classroom).
All aspects of occupational health are taken into account, particularly situations presenting chronic occupational exposure risks (such as pathogens or chemical substances). Occupational hygienists also check noisy environments and uncomfortable or stressful ergonomic situations. Our participatory approach is based on the respect, collaboration and trust of the whole EPFL community. An occupational health consultation is strictly confidential (medical secrecy) and takes place within the framework of the code of conduct of the FMH (Swiss Medical Association). During these consultations, individual issues may be addressed in order to receive advice, guidance and support for situations in which work affects health and well-being, and vice versa.
For the following services, please contact our occupational hygienists:
Among the services offered by the occupational health team are:
- Assessment of the occupational exposure risk (for instance to chemical substances or noise)
- Recommendations in relation with technical protection equipment (for instance laboratory hoods and other local exhaust ventilation systems)
- Validation and distribution of personal protective equipment (respiratory and auditory protection)
- Validation of workspaces and furniture (ergonomics)
For the following services, please contact occupational medicine:
- Maternity protection (pregnancy and breastfeeding)
- Workplace adaptations
- Entrance and fitness examination (specific functions)
- Medical monitoring program associated with certain professional risks (such as chemical agents, biological agents, noise, ionizing radiation or nanomaterials)
- Medical monitoring for night workers
- Return to work after an absence (illness or accident)
- Investigations linked to occupational diseases
Consultations as well as all investigations or all paramedical examinations in direct relationship with work are borne by EPFL. In the majority of cases, a confidential medical questionnaire must be filled in beforehand.
Contact and office hours of occupational medicine:
Phone: 3 20 07
Contact of occupational hygienists: