This Master is a joint program between EPFL and HEP-VD to train high school teachers in computer science in Switzerland.
It consists of 120 + 9 ECTS credits, with the first year corresponding to a Master’s cycle in Computer Science (IN), Communication Systems (CS) or Data Science (DS), and the second year corresponding to the specialization courses at the HEP and a teaching internship at a high school. The Master’s project (PDM) can be done part-time during the second year, or postponed to the third year (full-time during one semester). In addition, an internship in industry must be completed (8 weeks during the summer or 6 months over one semester, or integrated with the PDM).
Please note that all courses at the HEP are taught in French, and that students must teach in French during their second-year internship at a high school.
At the end of their studies, students are awarded a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Communication Systems or Data Science, accompanied by a Teaching Diploma in Computer Science at the high school level.
Corresponds to the Master’s cycle in IN, SC or DS:
- 32 ECTS courses from Group I (core courses).
- 12 ECTS courses from Group II (options).
- 6 ECTS SHS courses, replaced by a course at the HEP:
Apprentissage, développement et enseignement (MSENS31 – 6 ECTS in the autumn semester – possible time slots Monday or Tuesday afternoon) – this course is primarily intended for students doing the practical teaching internship, so it is also possible to take it in Year 2.
- 12 ECTS research project. ***
A minimum of 50 ECTS, including the course at HEP and the Group I (core courses), must have been acquired to begin the specialization in Year 2.
Consisting of the specialization courses at the HEP (30 ECTS) and the PDM (30 ECTS) ***, with for each semester:
- 6 ECTS computer science didactics courses at HEP: MSINF21 in the autumn semester and MSINF22 in the spring semester – possible time slot Friday afternoon.
- 9 ECTS practice courses: teaching internship and integration seminar.
- In parallel, 15 ECTS for the PDM part-time at EPFL (preceded by a summer internship in industry) or in a company.
The 9 additional ECTS correspond to the remaining educational sciences modules and are taken outside of the EPFL master’s program at the HEP. Here is the list of these HEP courses:
- Relation pégagogique et climat de classe (MSISO31 – 6 ECTS in the autumn semester – possible time slots Monday or Tuesday afternoon).
and one optional course (3 ECTS) from the following:
- Le développement de l’adolescent (MSDEV33 in the spring semester – possible time slot Monday afternoon).
- Evaluation des apprentissages (MSENS33 in the spring semester – possible time slot Tuesday afternoon).
- Altérités et intégrations (MSISO33 in the spring semester – possible time slot Monday afternoon).
- Systèmes éducatifs, organisations, acteurs, savoirs (MSSYS33 in the spring semester – possible time slot Tuesday afternoon).
The optional course taught during the spring semester may be taken in Year 1.
Please note that the Teaching Diploma is awarded by the HEP only upon successful completion of the Master’s degree at EPFL.
Registration and deadlines
As with the other master’s programs, the registration deadline (for students from other sections or outside EPFL) is April 15 of the academic year preceding the start of the master’s program.
Students must also register for the HEP-VD program in January of their first year of the master at EPFL. All the information regarding this registration can be found here. When registering be sure to indicate that you belong to this special program, which allows you to register without having completed your master’s degree.