Funding your Master Studies with Research
The Research Scholars MSc Program is a highly competitive program that offers Master’s students a unique research experience: In addition to the standard Master cursus, scholars work part-time on a research project together with PhD students and faculty, and receive a stipend for their research work from the beginning of September of the year they arrive on campus.
Interested students should apply to an IC Master program (December 15 or April 15) and indicate their willingness to participate in the Research Scholars MSc Program by checking the appropriate box on the master’s application form.
They should include a motivation paragraph in their statement of purpose explaining why they are interested in the Research Scholars MSc Program and indicating the labs and research areas they wish to pursue.
The admissions committee will then select the best candidates for the Research Scholars MSc Program and propose them to the faculty, who can offer them a research assistant position, in the weeks following the master’s admission acceptance decision.
IC Bachelor students will receive an email at the end of their third year of bachelor studies with details of the process for contacting faculty if they are interested in the Research Scholars MSc Program.
Please note that the assistantship positions are limited.
Details of the Research Scholar MSc Program
The initial contract is for one year and begins September 1 of the first year of Master studies. The assistantship may be extended for one or two semesters if the conditions are met (satisfactory project work, 23 ECTS acquired per semester).
780 hours per year, split as follows:
- 0% during exams, including the preparation period.
- Approximately 30-35% during semesters.
- 100% during the periods of academic recess.
- Two weeks of vacation during the academic recess.
Scholars receive approximately CHF 1’450.- net per month (same amount paid each month on the basis of 65 hours per month at CHF 25.- gross per hour).
To get an idea of a student budget, click here.
- Students must acquire 23 ECTS per semester.
- They may not interrupt the contract for the mandatory internship in industry during the first year of the research scholarship.
- The research scholarship will stop during the internship and the master project.
- It is not compatible with the EPFL Excellence Fellowship.
- It is not compatible with a student job in parallel.