You have the option to choose courses outside the optional courses defined in your Master’s study plan.
Number of authorized credits: 15 ECTS
Upon a justified request, the section may increase the 15-credit limit. The course credits will count towards your Group 2 – Options.
The list of authorized courses is available here.
- If the course you wish to register for appears in the above list of authorized courses, you may register directly in IS-Academia, by searching for it under “Other Subjects”.
- For all other courses not on the list, you must submit a request through this form. Once you have received authorization, you must register for the course in IS-Academia by searching for it under “Other Subjects”.
- The course will be moved by the section under your Group 2 – Options.
- CS- and COM- codified courses listed in the study plans of the IC Master’s programs are not considered outside the study plan and may be taken without prior approval.
- Students enrolled in a minor cannot take courses outside the study plan, except for CS- and COM- codified courses given in IC.
- In general, Bachelor’s level courses cannot be taken during the Master’s.
- It is your responsibility to arrange your weekly schedule so that you can attend classes and take the exam. A schedule overlap cannot be ruled out.
EPFL courses from other sections
Please note that some sections (e.g., MTE) have limited-seating capacity reserved for their own students. If this is the case, you will not be able to register for these courses.
EPFL Doctoral courses
A list of PhD courses, with descriptions and prerequisites, can be found here. It is strongly recommended that you completed the prerequisites for the course you wish to take. To register in IS-Academia, please send an email to [email protected], once you have obtained the Professor’s consent to take the course.
If you are interested in a course that is not on the above list of authorized courses, you must also obtain approval from the section (see procedure above).
Courses offered by UNIL-HEC (Faculty of Business and Economics)
This document summarizes the information you need to register for a UNIL-HEC course.
To take a Master’s level course offered by UNIL-HEC, you must register in IS-Academia by selecting the course “UNIL – HEC” under “Other Subjects”.
After the course registration deadline, the list of enrolled EPFL students is sent to UNIL-HEC, who will provide you with the HEC login. You will then need to register for the exam of the course through the HEC interface. Registration for the exams takes place during the 3rd and 4th week of each semester (i.e., the first half of October and March). Late registration (upon payment of a fee) occurs during the 5th and 6th week of each semester.
Registration on Moodle, at the beginning of the semester, is used for registering for courses (as well as obtaining the material), but not for exams. The key for Moodle is usually given by the teacher during the first lesson or provided in the course description (syllabus).
If you are interested in a course that is not on the above list of authorized courses, you must obtain approval from the section (see procedure above).
You may only take subjects at ETH Zurich for which there is no equivalent course at EPFL. When submitting your request to the section, please indicate why you want to take the course at ETH Zurich.
It is not possible to take a course at ETH Zurich during the 1st semester of the Master’s program.
Students enrolled in Cyber security cannot take courses outside the study plan at ETH Zurich until they have completed their mandatory exchange semester at ETH Zurich.