Yes they can, by demanding the registrar’s office.

Nevertheless, your demand needs to be supported by the person in charge of your thesis and you need to inform the secretariat of the Section of Civil Engineering.

This is usually a Civil Engineering Professor who will propose you to make your thesis abroad. Depending on his contact and on your thesis subject, he will direct you on an exchange university.

Conversely, it is also possible to suggest an exchange university and a contact name to one of your Civil Engineering Professor.

For a smooth organisation, we recommend the students who are interested to prepare their exchange Thesis during the MA2 semester.

Yes, it is possible to have such a collaboration, but the following conditions need to be met:

  • The person in charge of the Master Thesis is a professor or a MER of the Section of Civil Engineering (hence it is not the company itself)
  • The subject of the thesis is determined by the person in charge
  • The specificity of the collaboration are defined together by the person in charge of your Master Thesis and the company
  • During your Master Thesis, your status is not one of the company’s employees

    (which is the opposite of the time during your compulsory internship)

  • A student doing his Master Thesis in a company does not receive any salary from that company

The official dates for master’s projects are listed in the Academic Calendar.

It lasts 17 weeks for the SGC section, 25 weeks for a master’s degree project in mobility.

Steps to be taken in the semester preceding your pre-study:

– Define the area of interest

– Discussion and organization of the exchange with the Professor or MER affiliated to the Civil Engineering

– Contact the Student Affairs Department at the Academic Department (if European partner school, possibility of obtaining a scholarship)

– Notify your section secretariat

– Define the area of interest

– Discussion and organization with the Professor or MER affiliated to the Civil Engineering (The company is first contacted by the EPFL Professor)

*In case of registration for the pre-study in a staggered semester (MA4 instead of MA3), registration on ISA by selecting the “other subject” tab.

Define confidentiality clauses (Attention, sensitive point! Contact the section secretariat for advice before signing anything)


Only Professors of Civil Engineering or MER are authorized to supervise the PdM of a Civil Engineering student.

In case of collaboration with a professor outside the GC, it is mandatory to inform the section and to obtain the written agreement of the Section Director ( => Form). In any case, your PdM will have to be co-supervised by a Professor of Civil Engineering.