The internship is an integral part of your Master cursus in Digital Humanities. It must be successfully validated in order to be able to continue your studies and start your Master Thesis project.
Internships are an excellent opportunity for students to get a crucial insight into the day-to-day work-flow of companies1. By companies, we mean organisations, federations, cultural institutions, libraries, archives or industry in general.
The internship can be done at the earliest after your second semester of studies, even if you will continue with courses when you return.
It is the students’ responsibility to find an internship.
Procedure for students
- Find an internship position either using the IS-Academia portal or by yourself. In case you find it by yourself, have the internship validated by your section.
- Inform the DH coordinator that you have found your internship.
- Cancel all other ongoing applications by politely notifying the companies. This step is extremely important to keep a good relationship with future employers.
- Transmit the EPFL Internship Agreement internship agreement to the employer and have it filled out and signed by the employer and the section director of DH. The signing of the agreement is mandatory.
- Transmit a copy of the agreement to the DH section.
- If you are a non-swiss/EU citizen, ask the company to request a work authorization for the duration of the internship. More information here.
- Once all the details of your internship have been settled, enter or edit the details of your internship on the IS-Academia internship portal. Upload a copy of the signed internship agreement.
- At the end of the internship, fill out the evaluation report that will be sent to you by e-mail. The evaluation procedure starts 2 weeks prior to the official ending of the internship. Both the student and the supervisor will fill out an evaluation report.
- To validate your internship, you will have to provide a video report of the internship. The DH Section will give you more information in due time.
Master thesis project in a company:
- A master project in a company can be found with the help of the DH professors or via the IS-Academia Internship portal. In this case, it is mandatory to find a professor willing to supervise you before you accept the offer from the company.
- Official starting dates for master projects in a company are found here.
- All administrative details of your master project in a company have to be settled between the employer and the professor supervising your work. A special Master project agreement can be signed on request of the supervising professor or the partner company. Please ask the DH Section if you need this agreement.
- Once all the details of your Master project have been settled, register your project in your study plan in IS-Academia.
1Nota Bene: Students in Digital Humanities are encouraged to do an internship in a wide variety of places such as organisations, federations, cultural institutions, libraries, archives or industry in general. Please note that to simplify our text, we have only used the word “company” below.