The human and social sciences play a vital role in the education of well-rounded scientists and engineers.
These fields help students develop critical thinking skills, evaluate the ethical ramifications of their decisions, approach problems creatively, explain concepts clearly, come up with innovative solutions and, more generally, act as responsible citizens.
CDH therefore plays an important role at EPFL. The work we do provides a human perspective on the technical topics that our students and researchers study and helps them better understand the world around them. We raise their awareness of the main societal challenges we face, and equip them with the leadership skills needed to complement their scientific know-how.
We carry out this mission through a variety of programs:
- The Social and Human Sciences (SHS) program, which offers a full range of classes open to all EPFL students
- A Master’s of Science in digital humanities
- A PhD program in digital humanities
- The Digital Humanities Institute
- The Collaborative Research on Science and Society (CROSS) program, which coordinates cross-disciplinary research projects between EPFL and the University of Lausanne (UNIL)
- EPFL Pavilions, a research center at the crossroads of art and innovation
- The CDH-Culture program, which puts on a range of artistic and cultural events
- The Artist-in-Residence program