The SNSF Starting Grants 2023 is a funding instrument which integrates the ERC Starting Grants 2023 (as a transitional measure) and the discontinued PRIMA and Eccellenza calls.
The fellowship allows outstanding researchers, who have achieved scientific independence and contributed to impactful research in their field, to lead an independent research project in any discipline and direct a team of researchers in Switzerland.
The College of Humanities (CDH) supports projects in areas related to the interdisciplinary field of digital humanities (bringing research in the social sciences and humanities together with cutting-edge empirical methods from computer science, data science, and engineering), and with potential connections to other EPFL schools/colleges.
The Call at a glance:
– Min. 2 years of scientific activity after PhD completion
– Max. 8 years since obtaining the PhD
- Funding and duration:
Max. CHF 1.8M for a max. of 5 years (comprising applicant’s salary, if applicable)
- Title conferred:
Grantees, who are not professors yet, shall be appointed by the ETH-Board as assistant professors (non tenure track).
More information is available on the EPFL application tool-kit.
- Call opening: November 1, 2022
- EPFL applicant workshop: December 1, 2022 – register now!
- CDH internal pre-application deadline: 12 December, 2022
- SNSF deadline: February 1, 2023 at 17:00 CET
Pre-application process at the CDH
Candidates interested in applying with the CDH as host must follow an internal pre-application process, comprising:
- Carefully read the Call guidelines and then the EPFL application toolkit.
- Contact the CDH expressing interest and requesting preliminary support.
- Send a pre-application dossier including:
– Motivation letter addressed to CDH Director, Prof. Frederic Kaplan
– Short CV (max 3 pages)
– Publication list
– Research plan (max 3 pages)
– Budget estimation
> The pre-application dossier must be sent to [email protected] by Monday, 12 December, 2022.
- Once the CDH Director confirms his support, the candidate should contact the EPFL Research Office for an eligibility and HR check.
For questions regarding CDH process: Dr. Gabriela Tejada