■ In summary
In December 2020, EPFL Library joined swisscovery, a new platform that brings together scientific resources from a current total of 470 libraries in Switzerland, making hundreds of millions of printed and electronic documents easily accessible.
Swisscovery is available directly on BEAST catalog. To benefit from all the services of the Library, whether you are an EPFL member or not, it is mandatory to register on swisscovery through the SLSP platform.
■ Useful links
Who needs to register? Why?
All EPFL Library users, whether from EPFL (students, PhD students, staff) or not (UNIL students, non-EPFL people, etc.).
Because of personal data protection. From now on, only you will be able to modify your account personal data. It is therefore up to you to create your account and keep your personal data up to date.
How can I register?
Please note: if you do not have an EPFL email address, or if you are an ALUMNI, follow the procedure dedicated to non-EPFL members.
- Go to https://registration.slsp.ch/?iz=epfl&lang=en and click on “Start registration”.
- You must have a SWITCH edu-ID account to continue the registration. If you already have a SWITCH edu-ID account (for example if you use SWITCH drive), please log in. Otherwise, click on “Create an account”.
As EPFL member, you have an AAI account.
To create your SWITCH edu-ID account manually, choose the organization “EPFL – EPF Lausanne” by scrolling down the list in the “Create with AAI” block.
- Log in with your GASPAR credentials in the EPFL window.
- Once the AAI connection has been made (with your GASPAR credentials), you are redirected to the creation of your SWITCH edu-ID account. A form is already pre-filled with your personal information. You have to finish completing it.
Your CAMIPRO card number is automatically added when you register. It is not necessary to enter it as a barcode.
- You are redirected to the SLSP registration in order to finalize the authentication. The information is imported and you just have to accept the conditions.
- Your registration is now complete !
You can now connect to swisscovery (directly from BEAST catalog) network with your SWITCH-edu-ID and borrow documents at the Library automatic loan terminals with your CAMIPRO card.
- Go to https://registration.slsp.ch/?iz=epfl&lang=en and click on “Start Registration”.
- You must have a SWITCH edu-ID account in order to continue the registration. If you already have a SWITCH edu-ID account, please log in. Otherwise, click on “Create an account”.
- If you are a member of an academic community: you may already have an AAI account. To create your SWITCH edu-ID account, choose your organization by scrolling down the list in the “Create with AAI” block.
If not, create your account by clicking on “Create without AAI”.
- You are redirected to the creation of your SWITCH edu-ID account. Fill in all the information requested in the form.
- Validate your email address, and click on “Continue to SLSP registration service”.
Finally, associate your old library card with your new SLSP account. To proceed, add your library card number in the corresponding field.
Librarians are at your disposal to help you when you come to borrow documents on site.
- Your registration is now complete!
You can now connect to swisscovery (directly through the BEAST catalog) network with your SWITCH-edu-ID and borrow documents at the Library automatic loan terminals with your reader card.
Since December 7, 2020, you are no longer able to use your former reader account to access the Library loan services.
However, you still can continue to consult your old reader account, in particular if you borrowed documents before December 7. These documents will remain visible in your old account until you return them. You will continue to receive reminders and statement fees from your old account until you have returned all the documents in your old account, even if you have been using your new account since December 7.
Your old reader account will be definitively closed in March 2021.
Old reader accounts (whether EPFL or not) are no longer valid with SLSP. In order to continue using Library services, you must have a SWITCH edu-ID account.
If you are an external user, you have the possibility to indicate your library card number when registering.
If you are an EPFL member, the number of your CAMIPRO card is automatically registered when you register.
The Library does not use the CAMIPRO card number. The barcode automatically added in SLSP corresponds to the CAMIPRO card barcode, not the number. It is therefore normal for the barcode added in SLSP to be different from the CAMIPRO card number.
Users without a Swiss postal address can also create a SWITCH edu-ID account.
You can consult your loans in your user account on BEAST catalog.
No, it is not necessary to come to the Library desk to validate your registration. Your telephone number is verified during registration.
In order to guarantee a better protection of your data. You can make new document reservations in swisscovery via the BEAST catalog.
If you still have documents that were borrowed with your old NEBIS account and do not appear in your Switch edu-id account, you should contact [email protected].
All resources of the swisscovery network libraries can be found in the BEAST catalog.
The SLSP-Courier is a service that allows you to have books delivered from one library to another within 48 hours for a fee of CHF 6.00 per media ordered. This service is free of charge when the collection is made at the EPFL Library.
Most of the libraries of the major Swiss academic institutions offer this service. BEAST catalog allows you to know whether an institution is part of the network.
- You can borrow up to 100 documents
- 28-day loan period for all the documents, except:
– 14 days: Teaching Collection
– 7 days: borrowable journals, DVDs, video games and game consoles
- 5 automatic extensions (if the document is not reserved by another user)
- Exceptions may occur
Reminders and fees
- 1 day after loan term: free reminder
- 1st paying reminder
7 days after loan term: 5 CHF per document
- 2nd paying reminder
14 days after loan term: an additional CHF 5 per document
- 3rd paying reminder
21 days after loan term: an additional CHF 10 per document
On registration, SLSP imports your personal data (names, addresses, telephone numbers) from your SWITCH edu-ID account into your reader account. Your consent to your data being passed on to SLSP is obtained during the registration process.
You can change your personal data at any time in your SWITCH edu-ID account. The changes are automatically transmitted to swisscovery. Library specific data such as borrowed media, orders and fees are recorded directly in swisscovery.
You can delete your user account at any time, provided that there are no open transactions (borrowed media or fees). To do this, delete your SWITCH edu-ID account or contact SLSP via [email protected].
Transaction data is regularly anonymized and accounts in swisscovery are deleted after 10 years of inactivity.