CYD Doctoral Fellowships will provide a salary and research and conference funds for four years (with a possible one-year extension), enabling fellows to complete a PhD thesis at the CYD Campus under the supervision of a professor at a higher education institution in Switzerland.
CYD Doctoral Fellowships are open to researchers at doctoral level who are willing to engage with cross-cutting issues in cyber-defence, with a particular emphasis on:
- Novel technologies for protecting the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of cyber and cyber-physical systems
- Privacy-enhancing technologies
- Data science and artificial intelligence methods for analysing cyber- and technology-relevant data
- Research on vulnerabilities and backdoors in digital systems
- Citizens of any nationality may apply for the CYD Doctoral fellowships.
- No age restrictions apply.
- The CYD Doctoral Fellowships are aimed at new talents, and hence applicants are only eligible to apply if they do not already hold or have not already held an equivalent position in the same field in a higher education institution in Switzerland or abroad.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a doctoral program at a Swiss higher education institution and have the endorsement of a professor employed in this institution willing to supervise them when they submit their Stage 2 application (see Selection process).
- Applicants may seek the endorsement of a professor employed at a school of applied sciences, but they must provide written confirmation at Stage 2 that they are simultaneously enrolled in a doctoral program at a Swiss university.
- Applicants may request funding for less than four years only if they have already completed the first two years of their doctoral program and the requested funding period coincides with the completion of their PhD thesis.
Eligible costs include and are limited to:
- Salary contribution (incl. social security benefits) based on the salary ranges of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).
- Research costs: A maximum amount of CHF 3’000.- per year can be granted for research costs.
- Conference costs: A maximum amount of CHF 6’000.- per year can be granted for conference costs.
The submission deadline for Stage 1 (see Selection process) is 31 August 2020 (17:00 CET).
The selection process includes two stages.
Stage 1 consists of the pre-selection of applicants by a CYD Campus internal evaluation committee based on their academic profile, motivation, and a pre-proposal.
In Stage 2, short-listed applicants will be required to submit a full research proposal before the submission deadline of 30 September 2020 (17:00 CET).
Final decisions will be made by a committee chaired by the Director of the CYD Campus and composed of 3-5 members representing the CYD Campus and Swiss higher education institutions. They will be announced by 31 October 2020.