Visiting doctoral students must be registered (enrolled) by the Registrar’s office before they start their project at EPFL.
This page is intended for both the visiting doctoral students and the EPFL hosting laboratories administrative assistants.
The visiting doctoral student and the EPFL hosting lab Professor should first discuss the terms of the stay at EPFL. The discussion should include :
- how long the project will last (start and end dates),
- the location of the project,
- the type of supervision the visiting doctoral student will receive from the EPFL hosting Professor,
- the nature of the project,
- the financial aspects (see below),
- the infrastructure (lab, material, desk, etc.) the visiting Doctoral student will have access to,
- Any other relevant topic related to the project
EPFL requires that every visiting doctoral student has the equivalent of CHF 2’500.- per month during his/her stay at EPFL. This amount can come from different sources:
- The salary from their home university
- A third-party scholarship
- A scholarship from the EPFL hosting lab
Each visiting doctoral student must inform his/her EPFL hosting lab of any income they will receive during their stay at EPFL. If the income is less than CHF2’500.- per month, the EPFL hosting lab must provide the difference. Self-funding by the visiting doctoral student is not allowed.
The amount of CHF2’500.- is a minimum and a maximum to be considered a scholarship, it is meant to cover housing+meals costs.
Please note that if the visiting doctoral student’s home salary or third-party scholarship exceeds CHF30’000.- annualy, then the visiting doctoral student must be hired as an EPFL employee (see Category 4b on this page (only accessible to EPFL employees) and read the related FAQ).
If the EPFL hosting lab wishes to pay more, it will be considered as salary, and social charges and tax at source will be deducted. The visiting doctoral student must then be hired as an EPFL employee (see Category 4b on this page (only accessible to EPFL employees)).
- The visiting doctoral student will earn CHF 1’000.- as salary from their home university and no other scholarship. In this case, the EPFL hosting lab should offer a CHF 1’500.- monthly scholarship
- The visiting doctoral student will receive a CHF1’800.- scholarship from a third party during their stay at EPFL. In this case, the EPFL hosting lab should offer a CHF 700.- monthly scholarship
- The visiting doctoral student will earn CHF 800.- as salary from their home university + a third-party scholarship of CHF 1’200.-. In this case, the EPFL hosting lab should offer a CHF 500.- monthly scholarship
- The visiting doctoral student will receive a CHF2’600.- scholarship from a third party during their stay at EPFL. In this case, the EPFL hosting lab will not offer any scholarship to the visiting Doctoral student
Once the visiting doctoral student and the EPFL hosting lab Professor have agreed upon the terms of the stay at EPFL, including the financial aspects, the EPFL hosting lab should send the visiting doctoral student an invitation letter based on the 2 templates available on this page (only accessible to EPFL employees) > catégorie 4 – Doctorants en échange:
- Template 1: invitation letter without scholarship from EPFL
- Template 2: invitation letter with scholarship from EPFL
Once the visiting doctoral student has received the invitation letter from the EPFL hosting lab, they should complete the application form.
The following information is required before submitting the form:
- the duration of your stay (start and end dates must match those mentioned on the invitation letter)
- The name of your EPFL hosting Professor
- The address of your EPFL hosting lab
- The email address of your EPFL hosting lab administrative assistant
- The name of the EPFL doctoral program you will be affiliated to
- a copy of your ID card or passport
- a certificate of enrolment from your home university
- a recent passport-size digital photo for your student Card
- a copy of the invitation letter sent by your EPFL hosting lab
Once the form is filled and signed, please send it by email – with attachments – to [email protected]. We will then handle your registration.
Once your registration is accepted, the acceptance letter will be sent to the email address you have mentioned in the application form. A sample of this letter is available on this page (only accessible to EPFL employees) > catégorie 4 – Doctorants en échange.
An email with the EPFL electronic access will be sent to the email address mentioned in your form shortly before the beginning of your project.
- If you need a visa to study in Switzerland, the registration deadline should be 4 months before the beginning of the project
- If you do not need a visa to study in Switzerland, the registration deadline should be 2 months before the beginning of the project
- The visiting doctoral student is registered as a doctoral student at another university in Switzerland or elsewhere.
- They actively participate in EPFL’s research, doctoral training, in their hosting lab.
- They agree to follow the EPFL general rules, code of honour and the ethical guidelines in research.
- The visiting doctoral student is registered by the EPFL Registrar’s Office and receives an electronic CAMIPRO chip card, that allows them to use a variety of functionalities, and to benefit from a number of advantages (see CAMIPRO).
- They are affiliated to an EPFL doctoral program and have the same rights and benefits as EPFL doctoral students of the program; they can thus participate in the life of the program.
- They have access to the EPFL Housing office database.
- They can register for EPFL courses without paying a tuition fee.
- They have access to the secure IS-Academia portal to register to EPFL courses and exams and evaluate the courses taken; an official transcript of records will be available via the secure IS-Academia portal.