EPFL Innovation Park (EIP)
For connecting a computer or other device to the network of the EPFL, you need at least:
- An IP address
- An IP name (example, xxx.epfl.ch)
- Commissioning of a plug (if no plug is in use in the local or any other solution for sharing, for example, a micro-hub, exists).
A fixed annual rental is required during the commissioning of a plug or connection of a computer or other equipment.
Any request for a network service for the Innovation Park must be done through:
+41 21 353 80 10
The first connection of a computer include at least:
- The assignment of an IP address and IP name (example, xxx.epfl.ch).
- The commissioning of a plug with a dedicated 100Mbps port.
Connecting the first computer
Connection of additional equipment
|On a dedicated port (same as the 1st device).|
|On the same plug|
|IP address||128.179.x.y (x = network, y = your network address)|
|Default Gateway||128.179.x.1 (x = network)|
|Primary DNS server
Secondary DNS server
|Server SMTP outgoing||psemail.epfl.ch|
All computers with internet access are protected by default with the firewall DIODE.
If a machine has to be reach from outside the EPFL, the request to open access for this machine must be made through the form opening DIODE.
For more information, please refer to the official page of DIODE at EPFL.
Contact: Please send your requests and questions at EPNET-EIP.
This form can only be accessible from the network in which the machine is located in and have the adequate domain name if different from epfl.ch (this is also valid for a renewal).
Management of domain names for EPNET network is entrusted exclusively to the SI-EXINFR.
Each connected device have at least a name and an IP address. It may be useful in some cases, to have other names IP (Alias). Some rules are established for naming.
Other domain names (.ch .com .org .net …)
Generally, companies in the EIP are part of the domain epfl.ch. However, it is possible to request its own domain name.
There are some exceptions concerning the rule to get your own domain name describe in the SI directive.
To obtain your own domain name :
- Check that your case meets the criteria of articles 2 and 3 of SI directive.
- Send a request to the SI to get your own domain name. This request will mention:
- motivation of the request (related to the above directive).
- contact details of the person in charge for this domain.
- After receiving a positive response of the requests of paragraph 2, make a registration request to a competent authority.
- the 2 domain names at EPFL are :
- 220.127.116.11 stisun1.epfl.ch
- 18.104.22.168 stisun2.epfl.ch
- the technical contact is Nicolas Repond.
- the 2 domain names at EPFL are :
- Then ask the SI-EXINFR to enter the domain (one IP name is included).
Those actions are not free and must be pay to the concerned NIC (or other organisation able to register domains) and to the SI following the terms and rates available.
For additional informations, please contact Mr. Nicolas Repond (Tél.32254).
To get a private domain name, the company must own at least one device connected to SWITCH.
The management domain is provided exclusively by the SI.
Furthermore, note that all services (WWW server, email serverl, …) of the domain are under the full responsibility of the person who made the request.
The network traffic between EPFL and our provider SWITCH is measured to allow a further data analysis to master the costs.
This is also useful to monitor abnormal traffics due to an issue (hacking, erroneous configuration, …)
Accessible only on site.