The current apartment rental market in Lausanne area is intense
It is common for real estate agencies to require additional guarantees for foreign persons without a Swiss working contract, such as a Swiss guarantor.
We draw your attention to the difficulty of having an application file being accepted for a studio or an apartment through real estate agencies.
If you are planning to come with your family, we strongly recommend you to rent a temporary furnished apartment for a few months, or to come alone at first. The search for an apartment can be long and tedious.
If you are a student or a future student and/or without a Swiss working contract, we highly recommend you to look mainly through the other housing options suitable for your status.
An average commuting time of 30 min from your housing to EPFL corresponds to the current situation in the area.
You can calculate your commuting time accurately via the CFF website.
Do not be too restrictive in your search criteria.
As soon as you visit a place that suits you, tell the landlord you’re interested as soon as possible.
Sign a lease/sub-lease contract for the room with your landlord. If he/she doesn’t have any, we have some lease examples available on our website. These templates are only given as examples and have no legal value. They can be adapted to each person’s needs.
A studio is an independent, single room that contains a bedroom, living area, and kitchen, with a separate bathroom. The term “studette” is often used to describe a room with very little surface area (small studio).
An unfurnished apartment/studio will be empty of furniture, but the kitchen will be arranged (fridge, oven and hotplates in general)
A furnished apartment/studio will contain everything you need to live. A detailed inventory can be obtained by asking the landlord.
The length of the lease contract varies from one apartment/studio to another and from one landlord to another.
The websites listed here mostly have deals that are managed by real estate agencies.
Links to external sites are provided to facilitate your search. We cannot and do not provide any guarantee with regard to the accuracy or the maintenance of the content of these sites. Furthermore, we recommend you take caution because unfortunately even on the most reliable sites there can be some dishonest users. The Accommodation Office can advise you in case of doubt. Nevertheless, we decline any responsibility for any financial loss or other consequences linked to your use of these sites.
If you are interested in an ad, do not go visiting without prior discussion with the real estate agency on the conditions for renting the apartment (hire of foreigners without a Swiss guarantor accepted or not, the amount of the requested rental guarantee, etc…)
If you meet the rental conditions, here are the next steps:
- Visit as soon as possible. Concerning the unfurnished apartments, please note that most of the real estate agencies require to visit a property before applying for it.
- If you are interested in the accommodation, fill in the rental application of the agency (given either by the person who makes you visit the place or available on the agency’s website)
- Some advice to maximize your apartment application.
Provide a complete file, namely:
- Copy of the ID of each person who will live in the apartment/studio as well as the Swiss guarantor’s if the agency has asked you to provide one
- Certification of the debt collection office of each person who will sign the lease (including the Swiss guarantor’s if the agency has asked you to provide one); to be withdrawn from your present municipality of residence (only for people having lived in Switzerland for more than 3 months)
- Copy of the last 3 salary slips of the person who will sign the lease and/or the Swiss guarantor’s one (copy of tax notice for independent professionals).
If relevent :
- Attestation of studies at EPFL
- A letter of certification from the Swiss guarantor dated and signed confirming that he/she agrees to be your guarantor.
Remember to be patient as the response time of the real estate agencies may take up to several weeks.
The first month’s rent is to be paid prior the beginning of the rental, but after the lease signature.
Provide a rental guarantee of up to 1 to 3 months net rent.
|OK Logement SA||Regimo Lausanne|
|Nogan||Sur les Moulins|
|Hôtel du Marché||Studios modernes|
|Lausannestudios.com||Danièle De Planta|
|AE Logement||Chambres du Léman|
|Swissflats||Globe Plan & Cie SA|
|Lausanne Studio||Silo Bleu|
|Stutz Immobilier||Les Toches|
|At Home Switzerland||Le Débarcadère|
|Quartier Oassis in Crissier – Unfurnished apartments.|
|No Swiss guarantor or prior visit required. Please provide an EPFL affiliation proof in the online application form.|
Links to external sites are provided to facilitate your search. We cannot and do not provide any guarantee with regard to the accuracy or the maintenance of the content of these sites. Furthermore, we recommend you take care as unfortunately there can be dishonest users on even the most reliable sites. The Housing Information team can advise you in case of doubt. Nevertheless, we decline any responsibility for any financial loss or other consequence linked to your use of these sites.