This insurance will cover you or a family member in case of physical injury or material damage caused to a third party.
The third party liability insurance is compulsory in Switzerland if :
- you want to rent an accomodation
- you ride a bicycle
Even if these situations don’t apply to you, this insurance is highly recommended and worth it: it is inexpensive and will cover you up to several million Swiss francs. A third-party claim filed against you can quickly involve large sums of money when physical injuries or material damages are involved.
- This insurance is generally taken out together with the household insurance.
- If you live with your parents their third part liability will cover you. Therefore you do not need to take such an insurance separately.
- Such a contract can be cancelled in writing by giving 3 months’ notice before the end date.
- If you stay in a student hall and this insurance is included in your rent, make sure that this insurance also covers you in case of damage caused to a third party outside of the student hall.