Both cycles of the Bachelor’s program must be completed within a fixed maximum duration:
- foundation year (first year of the Bachelor’s program) : four consecutive semesters
- Bachelor’s cycle : eight consecutive semesters
The deadline for the completion of the Bachelor’s cycle is calculated from the completion of the foundation year. The interruption of studies during the Bachelor’s program is not authorised.
Should you be unable to study for one semester or more, the maximum duration of the ongoing cycle may be extended for the same amount of time. The following constitute valid motives of inability:
- inability to work full time (attested with a medical certificate),
- inability to work over 50% (attested with a medical certificate),
- the birth of your child (attested with a copy of the birth certificate),
- a period of military duty (attested with a copy of the duty summon),
- a period of civil duty (attested with a copy of the duty summon), or
- the death of a close parent (attested with a copy of the death certificate),
provided that the inability to study is such that the acquisition of knowledge and/or your participation in the assignments of the majority of the classes of the given semester(s) are rendered impossible. During that/those semester(s), you remain matriculated at EPFL. You are “on leave”, and this status appears on your certificate of matriculation for the given semester(s).
If you decide not to study for one semester or more for a personal motive (learning a language abroad, working, etc.), you may ask to be put “on leave.” In such a case, however, the maximum duration of the ongoing cycle is not extended. This is not possible during the foundation year.
An Architecture student may ask to undertake his architect’s internships during the Bachelor’s cycle. These internships last a total of two semesters, and the maximum duration of the Bachelor’s cycle is extended for the same amount of time. During both semesters, you remain matriculated at EPFL. You are “on internship”, and this status appears on your certificate of matriculation for both semesters.
It is not possible to acquire ECTS credits during a semester “on leave” during the Bachelor’s program.
A student “on leave” or “on internship” from the beginning of a semester is exempted from the tuition fee and pays only the semester taxes for that semester. The tuition fee is not refunded if the status is modified during a semester.
The interruption of studies and its motive may be indicated:
- through the academic reregistration form on IS-Academia (when it is open in the winter and summer)
- at the Registrar’s Office, Monday–Friday, 10–12 AM
- via email at [email protected]
The required attestations may be delivered in person, or sent by postal mail, or scanned and send by email.
Semesters in a mobility program are not leaves: they count toward the maximum duration of studies and the couses fees are due.