The Language Centre incorporates resources specifically designed to support and promote language learning.
This Centre provides an environment specifically designed for independent language learning (German, English, French, Italian).
It allows learners to:
- progress autonomously according to their needs, level and interests
- allows you to progress at your own pace
- provides tools enabling you to analyse your needs, set your objectives, assess your progress and discover new learning strategies
- use appropriate materials
In this room (equipped with 30 computers), you have access to rich and varied learning activities which allow you to work on the various language skills (listening, reading, speaking, pronunciation), as well as language quality (grammar and vocabulary).
The following material is available for use: multimedia and audio material with tape scripts, exercises and solutions, various reference materials grammar books, standard and online dictionaries etc.).
Someone is present in the Multimedia Centre to help and support you.
For more information, log into SWITCHaai and select the resource tab (only for members of Unil or EPFL).
Work in the Multimedia Centre can only be carried out on the spot (Room CE 2 347), at the designated times.
PlurieL is a virtual environment specially designed for language learning in the context of the Language Centre. It focuses on the learner and aims in particular to promote autonomy in language learning. PlurieL offers search facilities, access to pedagogical activities and the European Language Portfolio (including the learning journal, interactive skills referencing and the language passport), messages and personalized advice from the teaching staff, help and guidance documents and the possibility to carry out group activities.
Log into PlurieL.
The Language Centre recommends the utilisation of the European Language Portfolio for lifelong learning.
The European Language Portfolio (Higher Education version) of the Council of Europe Council for Languages (ELC/CEL) allows you to document and highlight your plurilingual profile in a comprehensible, complete and internationally comparable way.
- The Portfolio is a personal, accumulative record of your tasks, tests, certificates, self-assessment checklists, etc. to illustrate to a third party, in both a comprehensible and varied manner, what you are capable of doing in the different languages in your profile.
- It permits you to document all your language competencies and intercultural experiences acquired within or outside formal educational settings.
- It contains tools to guide you in taking responsibility for and planning your lifelong learning process.
- The ELP can be used for all languages learned and in any institutional environment.
- promote individual plurilingualism and dialogue between culture
- facilitate mobility in Europe
- strengthen and preserve cultural diversity
- encourage lifelong language learning
The basic French-English version of the European language Portfolio. Higher Education / European Language Portfolio. Higher Education for the European Council for languages (ELC/CEL) is published as a ring binder.
In order to guarantee the recognition of the multilingualism of the ELP at an international level, the publication concept of the CEL/ELC’s European language Portfolio foresees that the freely – downloadable existing translations in German and Spanish (see below) be inserted into the original ring binder.
- German version: Europäisches Sprachenportfolio. Hochschulbereich
- Spanish version: Portfolio Europeo de las Lenguas. Edición para la educación superior
- Electronic version for the Portfolio in PlurieL, Portfolio tab (French/English), only for the members of the Unil and EPFL