This program is open to all EPFL sections except the architecture section. It is targeted at students who have successfully completed the first two years of bachelor’s degree. The admission conditions are as follows:
- Successful completion of the entrance exam intended for international students (Filière Universitaire Internationale, FUI). There are two sessions: one in spring (4th semester of bachelor’s degree) and one in autumn (5th semester of bachelor’s degree)
- Overall average of at least 5,0 over the propaedeutic year (preparatory year) for an application in spring (4th semester of bachelor’s degree). Overall average of 5,0 over the first two years of the bachelor’s degree for an application in autumn (5th semester of bachelor’s degree)
This program is not intended for students of French nationality.
École Polytechnique l’X students
The program is open to students who have successfully completed their 3rd year of the “cycle polytechnicien”. The student of l’X who wants to participate in the double degree program at EPFL must:
- Choose a master’s study program among those offered at EPFL (with the exception of architecture)
- Be pre-selected by her/his home institution
- Submit her/his application to EPFL on the same basis as all external candidates, the selection procedures being the same as those applied to international candidates
École Polytechnique L’X students
Students must be pre-selected by their home institution. They must submit their online application to the EPFL master’s degree program in the same way as all students from abroad. The admission committee will assess their application.
- 2 years at EPFL + successful completion of the entrance exam for international students at l’X (either in spring or in autumn, see “target students”).
- 1 semester at l’EPFL (5th bachelor semester) and 1 semester at L’X: methodology course in mathematics and physics and core courses (25 ECTS of scientific courses)
- 1 year of study at l’X (78 ECTS, corresponding to the last year of the bachelor’s degree)
- 1 year of master’s degree courses at l’X (75 ECTS of master’s degree scientific courses)
- The whole master’s degree program at EPFL (including the industry internship and the master’s thesis)
NB: French students enrolled at EPFL must complete their bachelor’s degree (3 years of study), take the entrance examination for students of French nationality and complete 1 year of civilian or military service which is mandatory and an integral part of the curriculum (3 years in total at l’X). After that, the student will complete the whole master’s degree study program at EPFL (including the industry internship and the master’s thesis).
Étudiants de l’X :
- 2 to 4 years of university education (“classes préparatoires\
EPFL students will receive the EPFL bachelor’s degree at the end of the 2nd year of the “cycle polytechnicien” at l’X.
Students from both institutions who have successfully completed the double degree program (master’s degree level) will receive the “diplôme d’ingénieur de l’École polytechnique” at the end of the 3rd year of the “cycle polytechnicien” at l’X. At the end of the EPFL master’s degree program, they will obtain the “diplôme de l’École polytechnique” and the EPFL Master of Science degree.