- EPFL students in their last Bachelor year that have applied to the Master in Computational Science and Engineering
- PoliMi students in their 1st year of Master in Mathematical Engineering (Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Matematica) with Major in Computational Science and Engineering
- The candidate applies to the regular Master in Computational Science and Engineering. He/She makes sure that the check box “double degree” on the online application form in IS-Academia is checked. In the letter of intent, he/she expresses his/her interest in the double degree program.
- In parallel, the student also has to apply at PoliMi.
- EPFL selects the candidates
The admission to the double degree program is subject to the acceptance by both institutions. A candidate who was selected by EPFL but is not accepted at PoliMi, can still follow the Master in Computational Science and Engineering.
- The candidate is enrolled in the 1st year of the Master in Mathematical Engineering (Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Matematica) with Major in Computational Science and Engineering. The candidate applies for the double degree program at PoliMi by 31 January.
- PoliMi proceeds to the selection of the candidates until 28 February and forwards the selected applications to EPFL by 31 March.
- Selected students apply at EPFL by 15 April.
- EPFL proceeds to the selection of the candidates until 31 May.
The participants spend the 1st year at PoliMi, with the students, and continue the 2nd year at EPFL, where they join the 2nd year students in the regular CSE program.
1st year at PoliMi in “Mathematical Engineering” with orientation CSE,56 ECTS, six courses in “MSc, Computational Science and Engineering”:
- Algorithms and parallel computing, 10 ECTS (autumn)
- Real and functional analysis, 8 ECTS (autumn)
- Numerical analysis of partial differential equations, 10 ECTS (spring)
- Advanced programming for scientific computing, 10 ECTS (spring)
- Fluid labs, 10 ECTS (autumn)
- Advanced partial differential equations, 8 ECTS (spring)
If the student has already followed one of the courses mentioned above during Bachelor studies, he can choose one of the following optional courses instead:
- Computational fluid dynamics, 10 ECTS (autumn)
- Mathematical and physical modelling in engineering, 10 ECTS, (spring)
Nominally, EPFL will validate one project of 8 ECTS, 14 ECTS in the core block, and 4 ECTS in the group 2 (total 26 ECTS). The grade obtained for these courses is “R” (réussi, i.e. pass without grade).
Summer Internship, 8 ECTS (at least 8 weeks outside academia)
The internship is managed by EPFL and the credits are validated only at EPFL. The student has three options:
- 8 weeks (at least) in the Summer between the 1st year at PoliMi and the 2nd year at EPFL
- 8 weeks (at least) in the Summer after one year at EPFL, before the master’s project (which starts mid-September)
- One semester after one year at EPFL. This means that the student takes a leave during the semester.
It is not possible to replace this internship with a semester project at EPFL
– Second year at EPFL (56 ECTS according to EPFL study plan)
Block 1: core courses, 16 ECTS
Group 2: optional courses from lists A, B, C et D (choose 3 lists), 26 ECTS in total:
- List A: computational methods based on differential equations (at least 8 ECTS)
- List B: computational methods based on discrete systems (at least 8 ECTS)
- List C: numerical methods, algorithms, high performance systems (at least 8 ECTS)
- List D: data science (at least 8 ECTS)
Group 1: semester project (8 ECTS) and SHS courses (6 ECTS)
Due to overlapping subjects, following courses cannot be taken at EPFL: Advanced numerical analysis, Introduction to the finite elements method, Numerical analysis and computational mathematics, Paralell computing and threads, Programming concepts in scientific computing.Nominally, PoliMi validates 52 ECTS in total, among which the 10 ECTS for the title of engineer. The grade obtained for these courses is “R” (réussi, i.e. pass without grade).
Master’s project (17 weeks) at one of the partner institution (depending on the student’s registration), with a co-supervisor from the other one acting as expert (30 ECTS). It must be written in English and defended orally at one of the partner institution and via video conference at the other one. Out of the 30 ECTS obtained for the master’s project, 12 ECTS will count towards the 120 ECTS of the master’s degree at PoliMi.
The double degree is delivered after the validation of the 150 ECTS of the double degree program. It is not possible to make up for credits missed in one institution by passing exams in the other institutions.
- Politecnico di Milano delivers a Master in “Ingegneria Matematica con orientamento alle scienze computazionali”
- EPFL delivers a Master in Computational Science and Engineering