This program is open to EPFL students who are in their last year of the Bachelor’s degree, or in their 1st year of the Master’s degree in Applied mathematics.
This program is open to TUM students who are in their last year of the Bachelor’s degree or in their 1st year of Master’s degree in Mathematics.
General conditions related to double degrees are available on the Double degrees, joint Master’s and 1:1 Master’s page.
Pre-application at the EPFL Mathematics section
EPFL students who have been nominated by the Mathematics section for this double degree program must prepare a pre-application with the following documents for the TUM Department of Mathematics:
- Bachelor’s degree (if available)
- Language certificate (min. B2 in English, the certificate delivered by EPFL Language Centre is accepted)
These documents must be sent to the Mathematics section within the following deadlines:
- March 28 for the winter semester
- October 28 for the summer semester
Once the nominations have been approved by the Department of Mathematics at TUM, EPFL candidates receive a letter of eligibility that will facilitate the application process.
Application at TUM
After the pre-check, EPFL candidates have to submit following documents together with the application to the Office of Application and Enrollment:
- Letter of eligibility
- Printed online application form, with signature
- Copy of passport
- Language certificate
- Bachelor’s degree (if not already issued, can be submitted later)
- Health insurance
Application guide for double degree students in mathematics (TUMonline)
These documents must be sent to the Office of Application and Enrollment at TUM within the following deadlines:
- May 31 for the winter semester
- November 30 for the summer semester
General information about applications and deadlines related to double degrees is available on the Double degrees, joint Master’s and 1:1 Master’s page.
This double degree program covers a period of three years during which the students earn 180 ECTS distributed as follow:
- Courses and seminars at TUM, courses and semester project at EPFL (120 ECTS in total: min. 50 ECTS at TUM and min. 50 ECTS at EPFL)
- Internship in the industry during four to six months, just before the Master’s thesis (30 ECTS)
- Master’s thesis (30 ECTS)
The Master’s thesis may not be started until all 150 ECTS have been earned. An exception may be made for up to 8 ECTS missing.
The students have to pick two areas of specialization, one area accounting for 14 ECTS. The semester project at EPFL (9 ECTS) must be done within one of the areas.
The students are required to take SHS courses at EPFL and soft skills courses at TUM.
Teaching languages: English (main language) and French
Requirements: language certificate (min. B2 in English, the certificate delivered by EPFL Language Centre is accepted)
Teaching languages: English (main language) and German
After meeting the graduation requirements of both institutions, students obtain two degrees, one from each institution:
- Master of Science in Applied mathematics from EPFL
- Master of Science in Mathematics from TUM
EPFL students must pay administrative fees of 128,50€ per semester for the year they spend at TUM (two semesters) as well as for the last semester (in order for them to obtain the degree).
General information about costs related to double degrees is available on the Double degrees, joint Master’s and 1:1 Master’s page.
Deputy Director of the Mathematics section
Dr. René Brandenberg
Academic Advisor for International Relations, Zentrum Mathematik
Tel.: +49 89 289 16878
Email: [email protected]