Under the leadership of the Vice-President for Responsible Transformation (VPT) at EPFL, a Task Force Harassment A-Z & Promotion of a Culture of Respect has been set up, including several Working Groups (listed below).
The aim is to put in place prevention and support measures, and to ensure that the handling and management of situations meet the highest standards.
This Task Force does not replace the structures in place, such as the Respect Cell. It is a matter of ensuring that actions cover the entire spectrum of necessary actions (prevention, support, case management, sanctions), and of ensuring their consistency.
If you are looking for information, advice or support related to a possible harassment situation, you will find up-to-date information on the Respect pages.
Activities of the Task Force
The Task Force discussed and approved a concept for a confidential counselling and support system for EPFL students and employees. The Task Force members also reviewed and validated the progress of other deliverables, in particular the creation of an e-learning and the awarding of the mandate for the awareness raising campaign.
The working groups reported on the progress of the various deliverables. In particular, the Task Force validated the learning objectives of the training modules for the prevention of harassment, psychosocial risks and the promotion of a culture of respect.
- Working Group’s progress report
- Next steps (draft action plans/deliverables)
- Questions/issues to share/important points for other groups
- Clarification of the role of the Task Force in relation to the Copil Harassment and Risk Behavior and the Respect Unit.
- Discussion Composition of the Task Force and Working Groups.
- Establishment of a calendar.
Task Force Members
- van der Goot Gisou, VPT (Chair)
- Hess Bellwald Kathryn (suppl.), AVP-SAO
- Füger Hélène, EGA, coordination
- Guinchard Caroline, VPT (coordination support)
- Ariceta Ines, Coordination Cellule Respect
- Bernier-Latmani Rizlan, ETH WPF (EPFL)
- Chardonnens Françoise, AJ
- Chuard Daniel, SAO
- Du Pasquier Eric, DSPS
- Gehin Charlotte, EPFL Postdoc Association
- Lambertini Luisa, AVP PGE
- Le Duc Ingrid, E-DAF, CAPE
- Le Tiec Agnès, VPT
- Marendaz Colle Emmanuelle, VPT
- Montemagni Camille, AGEPoly
- Noth Claudia, DRH
- Poma Alias, Plan Queer
- Ritter Nathalie, SAE
- van der Meer Marijn, Polyquity
- Wells Rebekah, PolyDoc
The Copil ‘Enquêtes – Harcèlement et comportement à risque’ started its work at the end of 2019. Since 2021, it carries out its mandate in close collaboration with the Harassment A-Z Task Force. Its mandate is:
- to evaluate the situation at EPFL (extent of the problems according to the different populations and themes; knowledge by the EPF community of the means made available; efficiency and shortcomings of the current organization);
- to identify areas for improvement, as well as the associated quantifiable objectives;
- to identify, with the Harassment Task Force, the measures to be implemented;
- to regularly evaluate the effects of the measures taken (quality review).
Kolendowska Albertine, SAO
Hess Bellwald Kathryn, AVP-SAO; van der Goot Gisou, VPT; Chuard Daniel, SAO; Du Pasquier Eric, DSPS; Noth Claudia, DRH; van Hunen Jeroen, AVP-PGE-EDOC; Ritter Nathalie, SAE; Feuz Corinne, Mediacom; Montemagni Camille, AGEPoly; van der Meer Marijn, Polyquity; Brès Camille, STI ; Brügger Julia, ADSV & SCBA; Miskovic Ljubisa, COSEC; Antille Consuelo, AE ; Lambertini Luisa, AVP-PGE
- Define precisely the target audiences;
- Offer training programs (short, medium and long term) adapted to each target audience, to create a culture of respect and inclusion on campus, to avoid sexual harassment and discrimination, etc;
- Propose prevention measures for specific contexts (e.g. large events).
Füger Helene, EGA, coordination
Becker Kristin, VPT-EGA; Hazanov Ofra, F-RH; Kolendowska Albertine, SAO; Le Tiec Agnès, VPT; Luterbacher Jeremy, Prof. SB; Montemagni Camille, AGEPoly; Morais Marie-Noëlle, DSPS; Morgan Nicholas, PolyDoc
Dayer Caroline (external expert)
A broad reflection was carried out by AGEPoly with about 40 associations and student committees on the needs and measures to prevent harassment and aggression, particularly sexual, sexist and LGBTIQphobic, in the context of events organized by the associations.
The sub-working group will use this reflection to propose a matrix of concrete measures, adapted to the types of events.
Sub-groupe is composed by : Morais Marie-Noëlle, DSPS; Montemagni Camille, AGEPoly; NN (Médiacom), NN (Poliquity). Campus associations will also be included in the development of this matrix of measures.
WG Support and Accompaniment
- Conduct a mapping of the instances and existing internal and external support measures;
- Identify gaps in terms of entry points and appropriate support and accompaniment measures in cases of harassment for students and employees (including professors);
- Propose measures (internal and/or external) – also pilot measures – where the persons concerned could find listening and therapy if necessary;
- Propose, in coordination with the WG Prevention, training adapted to any person who is a potential entry point.
Le Tiec Agnès, VPT, Chair
Ariceta Ines, Coordination Cellule Respect; Becker Kristin, VPT-EGA; de Francesco Aurélie, Personne de confiance; Du Pasquier Eric, DSPS; Hess Bellwald Kathryn, AVP-SAO; Ritter Nathalie, SAE; van der Meer Marijn, Polyquity; van Hunen Jeroen, AVP-PGE-EDOC; Vonèche Cardia Isabelle, SCI-STI-DG
WG Complaints Management
- Explain the complaint management processes;
- Propose feedback mechanisms for complainants and defendants, with a possible pilot with people still at EPFL previously involved in complaints ( under anonymity);
- Identify successful de-escalation measures, propose new ones.
- Suggest improvements to the complaint management process, especially once the feedback mechanism is in place, and/or de-escalation measures to reinforce trust and support from the parties.
van der Goot Gisou, VPT (Chair)
- Make an inventory of the sanctions currently in force according to the groups (students, employees, professors, knowing that the CEPF is involved for these latter);
- Discuss whether additional sanctioning measures would be desirable accompanied by proposals;
- Discuss and propose support measures (internal and/or external) for the perpetrators (students and employees, including professors) of sexual harassment (and others?)
van der Goot Gisou, VPT (Chair)
Boissat Manon, AgePoly; Chardonnens Françoise, AJ; Demeuse Véronique, RH-F; George Frédéric, VPA-AJ; Guinchard Caroline, VPT (coordination support); Lambertini Luisa, AVP PGE; Ritter Nathalie, SAE; Sarkis Rita, PolyDoc
WG Information and Communication
Propose a communication plan and actions in order to :
- Inform about the Task Force and the work in progress;
- Raise awareness of harassment and discrimination issues within the EPFL community, reinforce the message of respect and inclusion, and encourage people to speak out and seek help;
- Ensure that people know the entry point(s);
- Reflect on the best way to support Task Force Harassment A-Z in the short, medium and long term.
Marendaz Colle Emmanuelle, VPT, Chair