Gender Monitoring is one of the key elements of ETH Board’s equal opportunities strategy. The biennial monitoring highlights the percentages of men and women – and the percentage changes – at different stages of the academic career at EPFL and in the different Schools. It aims to provide a basis for defining action steps.
In 2012, the ETH Board set objectives in terms of equality between women and men in an academic career and in management positions for the 2012-2017 period. The Gender Monitoring 2012-13 shows the situation at EPFL in 2013 and changes that occured in the previous decade (2002-2012). It highlights the progress achieved, gives an overview of developments and suggests future actions.
The Federal Office of Statistics (OFS) regularly publishes information on the Gender equality situation in Switzerland. It takes into account the following indicators in particular: education, professional activity, unpaid work, equal pay, political representation, violence, and carries out focused analyses (i.e Distribution of tasks at home, Reconciliation of family and professional life, etc.)
- Women and men in Swiss universities: Indicators on equal opportunities in education and in scientific careers (pdf)
- A fact sheet that traces through 40 events the long progress made towards progress towards equality between women and men since the introduction of the Federal Commission for Women’s Issues (CFQF) in 1976 (pdf)
- Constitution (Art.8);
- Loi sur l’égalité;
- Loi sur l’encouragement et la coordination des Hautes écoles;
- Loi sur le personnel de la Confédération (LPers) (Art.4.)
Legislation relative to ETH domain:
- Femmes et hommes dans les hautes écoles suisses, Indicateurs sur les différences entre les sexes, ofs 2011
- Accès à la base de données interactive de l’ofs
- SHE Figures & Gender in Research Statistics and Indicators, published by the European Commission