The Ph.D Mobility Award is given by the doctoral program in Civil and Environmental Engineering (EDCE) to encourage good PhD students within the program to go for an academic visit to an external research institution.
The amount of the award may range from CHF 1,000 up to CHF 4,000 and is transfered on the laboratory account.
Applications should be sent to the EDCE office, and contain the following documents:
- A short (1 page) motivation letter written by the candidate describing:
- the current progress of the PhD research,
- the host institution and the academic contact,
- the expected added-value of the stay,
- the link of the work performed at the host institution with the research plan of the thesis.
- A short note from the thesis director supporting the application.
- A short note from the hosting lab confirming the possibility to host the student.
- A description of the source of funding that will cover the expenses related to the stay.
- The complete curriculum vitae.
The application package must be contained in a single ZIP file and sent to the EDCE office by email
The following criteria will be used for the selection:
- Motivation for the stay.
- Quality of the current research. In particular, it is expected that the student has some significant piece of work to present at the host institution upon arrival.
- Relevance of the host institution.
- Financial feasibility of the stay.
- Ongoing collaboration between the host professor and the EPFL laboratory is a plus.
There are two deadlines every year for the applications: May 31 and October 31.
The applications will not be considered:
- if the PhD student has already received a PhD Mobility Award from the program
- if the PhD student has not passed the candidacy exam