LéXPLORE: Experimental floating platform on Lake Leman
“Léman exploration (LéXPLORE)” is a unique partnership between EPFL, Eawag, University of Geneva, University of Lausanne, and CARRTEL in Thonon-les-Bains. This innovative platform is equipped with cutting-edge scientific instrumentation for simultaneous biological, chemical and physical analyses at high resolution.
Importance and advantages:
- Acquire data at high spatial and temporal frequency, in order to measure key processes at the right resolution
- Improve models to better predict the lake evolution and adaptation to climate changes
- Promote a dynamic and cutting-edged research on Lake Leman, by reinforcing regional collaborations and attracting international researchers.
- Develop innovative technological applications to resolve pertinent problems to society
- Provide an easy access to data in near-real time
- Raise environmental awareness during public visits
Researchers greatly benefit from this novel infrastructure!
Within one year of operation, LéXPLORE already hosts 18 scientific projects. The goals of these projects are to:
- Measure and model key physical and biogeochemical processes at high frequency (CARBOGEN, Primary Production, HYPOTHESIS, calcite precipitation)
- Understand ecosystem functioning ranging from bacteria, mussel, phytoplankton and fish
- Evaluate microplastic pollution
- Develop and test new technology (optofluidic sensor, biosensor, autonomous underwater vehicle)
- Manage and share data with the online portal from DATALAKES
All these projects running in parallel will offer unique opportunities for interdisciplinary outcomes.