In order to study a particular aspect of their training and develop interfaces with other sections of the EPFL, students can choose to attend training offered as part of a minor.
List of Minors
- Interdisciplinary minors recommended by the SIE Section :
- Urban Planning and Territorial Development, organized by the SIE Section
- Energy, organized by the Section of Mechanical Engineering (School of Engineering)
- Biotechnology, organized by the Section of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (SCGC)
- Integrated Design, Architecture ans Sustainability (IDEAS) organized by the Section of Architecture
- Computational Science and Engineering
- Disciplinary minors and other interdisciplinary minors
The course list of the SIE Minor has to include 2 courses from Bloc 2 of the SIE Master Study Plan, amongst the 30 requested credits.
The list of courses for each minor is on the site of the SAC Academic service at the bottom of the “Study Plans & Rules” page.
- The interdisciplinary or disciplinary minor is optional and can replace compulsory specialization of the study plan of the SIE Master
- The selection of courses must be approved by the SIE Section and the head of the minor.
- The minor is successful when at least 30 ECTS are obtained from the courses specified in the curriculum of the minor plan of each student
- The student must acquire 30 ECTS of the minor before the beginning of master project.
- Usually, the Master thesis should not be achieved on a topic related to the Minor.
- Each student wishing to make a minor needs to complete a registration form with the list of courses he selected
- The first week of the first semester, the students should contact the responsible director for the minor to discuss the selection of courses
- Then these students should contact the assistant of the section to discuss the choice and organization of their year.
- The form must be signed by the head of the department of minor concerned and submitted to the secretary of the SIE section before October 15 of each year.