Credits and course registration
During the course of his or her studies, each PhD student must earn at least 12 ECTS (credit units) before the final thesis defense.
• At least 4 credit units must be earned within the first year.
• For all courses taken (see below), – except the Transferable Skill ones, the PhD student must have the approval of the thesis director.
The following courses can be chosen:
• from the EDMA course offer
• from the Doctoral course books (contains ALL doctoral courses scheduled at EPFL during the current academic year) including Transferable Skill Courses
• from the Master program in mathematics or from other master programs at EPFL
• from other external doctoral courses including summer/winter schools. The PhD student must complete the Part 1 of the equivalence course form signed by the thesis director and the EDMA program director who approves this beforehand and decides on the number of credits. The Part 2 of the same equivalence course form has to be completed at the moment of the exam, signed by the examiner, and forwarded to EDMA administration for validation of the credit(s). It is not possible to acquire credits by participating in a conference.
4 credits – but not those required for the first year, can be chosen by the PhD student without the approval of neither the program committee nor the thesis director. These 4 credits – free of approval – can be chosen from all EPFL doctoral program’s course lists as well as from the transferable skills courses, open to all doctoral programs.