Institute of Physics
This document describes the process for getting support from the Institute of Physics (IPHYS) for application.
Upon successful application, Eccellenza fellowship grantees will receive the title of Research & Teaching Associate (collaborateur·trice scientifique senior). They head their own research group and supervise the PhD students involved in their project.
Eccellenza fellowship applicants who would like to work at IPHYS must first be approved by the hosting institute.
Description of the selection process
For the purpose of the internal selection process, a supporting professor needs to endorse the application. This supporting professor must be ready to take over the supervision of the involved PhD students should the grant holder leave EPFL. Moreover, the supporting professor needs to state in the endorsement letter either that they commit to provide the necessary space and infrastructure for the success of the proposed project, or they need to provide a list of required lab (with specifications) and office space, and infrastructure. The IPHYS selection is based on the plans of the supporting lab to integrate the candidate and the ability of IPHYS to satisfy the needs of the candidate’s project.
The procedure goes as follows:
- Candidates apply to the IPHYS Direction by sending to [email protected] (with cc to [email protected]) the following documents: a CV, publication list, research statement, teaching statement, endorsement letter from the supporting professor. IPHYS deadline: 4/12/2020
- The Director of the Institute discusses the case internally with the Executive Committee, and proposes a list of candidates to be supported in their Eccellenza application to the Dean, who takes the final decision on FSB candidates.
- Supported candidates need subsequently to fill out the EPFL online pre-application form for SNSF Eccellenza Fellowships, upload the Detailed confirmation of the research (Word format, not signed, using template in the toolkit), CV, draft of the research plan, statement of mobility, administrative part of the proposal including budget (a PDF can be generated from mySNF.ch), statement of mobility, and submit their pre-application.
- The Research Office reviews all documents and collects the validation and signatures of the HR responsible, Institute Director, Dean and, if applicable, Head of Equipment via the EPFL online pre-application platform.
- The Research Office provides the supported candidates with the Host support letter and the Detailed confirmation letter signed by the Institute Director.
The application toolkit contains all details. Please read all the documents carefully, follow the instructions and make sure that your application file fulfils all the requirements. Incomplete files will not be considered. If you have questions regarding the information contained in the present document, please contact Blandine Jérôme ([email protected], +41 21 69 33376). If you have questions regarding the application toolkit, please contact the Research Office ([email protected]).
Timeline & deadlines
IPHYS deadlines are at midnight on the indicated date. Files received after the deadline will not be considered.
IPHYS pre-selection application deadline: December 4th, 2020
Pre-selection by IPHYS: December 8th, 2020
Deadline for EPFL online pre-application form (IPHYS supported candidates): December 15th, 2020
SNSF application deadline: February 1st, 2021 (17h)