Institute of Physics
This document describes the process for getting support from the Institute of Physics (IPHYS) for application.
Upon successful application, PRIMA grantees will receive the title of Scientist (collaboratrice scientifique). They are hosted in a research unit. They co-supervise the PhD students involved in their project, the supervisor being the head of the hosting research unit. PRIMA grantees receive 100 kCHF of start-up funds.
PRIMA applicants who would like to work at IPHYS must first be approved by the hosting institute.
Description of the selection process
Host professors are responsible for the selection of the candidates they would like to support. Supporting a candidate implies that the host professor commits to provide the necessary space and infrastructure for the success of the proposed project, within the present means available to their unit. IPHYS cannot provide additional space or financial support in case a PRIMA project is granted.
Important: The host professor needs to state their commitment in an endorsement letter addressed to the IPHYS director and included in the pre-application file (please use the template provide below). Also, please make sure to indicate in the online pre-registration form (under ‘Equipment and Lab Office Space’) that lab & office space is provided by the host laboratory. In addition, the host professor prepares a letter of support for the SNSF file (detailed confirmation letter), which is signed both by the host professor and the director of IPHYS (please use the IPHYS template provided below).
Please note that there is a clear difference in the applicant group aimed at between Ambizione and PRIMA (besides the fact that PRIMA is directed exclusively to women): PRIMA grants are aimed at excellent women researchers who show a high potential for obtaining a professorship while Ambizione grants are aimed at young researchers who wish to conduct an independent research project. It is therefore essential that PRIMA applicants have a professorable profile.
The application toolkit can be found here. Please read all the documents carefully and follow the instructions. The procedure goes as follows:
- Candidates need to fill out the EPFL online pre-application form for PRIMA grants, upload the detailed confirmation letter signed by the host professor (in pdf format using the IPHYS template provided below), a CV with publication list, the PDF generated from their mysnf application including the project description and requested funding (see note in pre-application form), endorsement letter of the host professor (using the IPHYS template provided below), and submit their pre-application. Deadline: 06/09/2021
- The Research Office, Human Resources, and (if applicable) the Equipment & Centers Management Office conduct an administrative and eligibility check.
- The Director of the Institute and the Dean of the School of Basic Sciences (FSB) evaluate the files and give their approval.
- The IPHYS Director sends to the supported candidates and the FSB the detailed confirmation letter fully signed.
- The FSB sends the list of supported candidates and the signed Detailed Confirmation letters to the Research Office, who provides the supported candidates with the general confirmation letter.
Please refer to the documentation in the toolkit for further information. If you have questions regarding the IPHYS procedure, please contact Blandine Jérôme ([email protected], +41 21 69 33376). If you have questions regarding the application toolkit, please contact the Research Office ([email protected]).
Timeline & deadlines
IPHYS deadlines are at midnight on the indicated date. Files received after the deadline will not be considered.
IPHYS application deadline: September 6th, 2021
SNSF application deadline: November 1st, 2021 (17h)