The EPFL Excellence Research Internship Program (ERIP) offers laboratory internships of three to four months to outstanding students. Candidate have to be enrolled in the program partner universities from North America, UK and Singapore, regardless of nationality. (see list of partners below)
Excellent students (top 10%) at the Bachelor’s level are accepted, and applicants must:
- have at least completed their 2nd year of Bachelor’s degree (undergraduate) when they start the internship
- be enrolled as regular students at their home university during the whole length of the internship
- come from one of our program’s partner universities (see list of partners below)
- be nominated by their home institution international exchange office
The internship should be part of their curriculum.
The following institutions from North America, the UK and Singapore have a partnership with the Excellence Research Internship Program that includes structured research internship opportunities. Students from these universities only are eligible to apply to this specific program.
If you are studying in an institution in North America, the UK and Singapore that is not in the list please contact us by email to verify your eligibility. We have ongoing discussions with several other institutions in these regions.
- McGill University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Toronto
- University of Waterloo
- Nanyang Technological University – NTU Singapore
- Imperial College London
- University of Edinburgh
- Carnegie Mellon University*
- Georgia Institute of Technology*
- Johns Hopkins University
- University California San Diego
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Students coming from the above universities must be nominated by their home institution.
* As part of the partnership, candidates from these institutions must combine their research internship with an exchange semester. Please contact your Study Abroad/International Office for more information.
Students who are not eligible for the Excellence Research Internship Program and are interested in internships in specific areas have the possibility to apply to the following programs (distinct eligibility rules):
Application is now open for research internships in summer 2023.
The application deadline is on November 30th, 2022 at 00:00 (UTC+2).
The applications must contain the following documents and information:
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter – detailed info below
- Official transcripts – detailed info below
- Contact details of two references – detailed info below
- Scan of your passport in PDF format
- Choice of three EPFL laboratories – detailed info below
Timeline for the three- to four-month internship is flexible, but placement is linked to lab availability.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
Your motivation letter (max. 800 words) should highlight your interest in pursuing this program and your expectations in terms of outcomes, as well as the following information:
- Your qualification and research experience
- Your motivation, interests and expectations in undertaking a research internship at EPFL
- Your choice of laboratories: justify your choices with respect to your profile and why you are a good fit for the laboratories
- Your future study / research / professional / personal objectives
- Your potential interest in a student exchange or graduate studies at EPFL (Master or PhD)
If you are a 3rd year student and above, you should send an official transcript with the final grades of your two previous years of study at your current university.
If you are a 2nd year student, you should send an official transcript with the final grades of your first year of study at your current university.
If you are a 1st year student, you are unfortunately not yet eligible.
If you do not have the official transcripts yet, please download the unofficial ones. Further in the process and upon your preselection, we will ask you to complete your application file.
Your referees could be a tutor, a professor, a past employer, or an internship supervisor. Carefully select the best options in relation to your application and your laboratory choices.
A reference request will automatically be sent to your referees after the submission of your online application form.
It is your responsibility to ensure that we receive your reference letters within the application deadline. You can follow the status of your reference letters via the registration form portal.
EPFL hosts around 500 laboratories and research groups with cutting-edge infrastructure in disciplines ranging from mathematics, physics or chemistry to life sciences, architecture or engineering.
Browse the list of laboratories and research groups or look by research domain, choose your three favorite ones, and indicate the name of the laboratory itself and its head in the online application form.
To increase your chances of working in the laboratories of your choice, make sure your profile is a good match. Your choice will be taken into consideration, but there is no guarantee that you will be placed in one of your selected laboratories.
We do not have a list of laboratories interested in hosting interns because of the difficulty of keeping an updated and accurate catalogue each year. Please note that the College of Management of Technology is a small entity and thus offers only very limited opportunities.
The EPFL Central Admission Committee will review all complete applications in December and shortlist successful candidates. Shortlisting decisions will be communicated by the end of December.
Applications will then be submitted to the laboratories for final selection and recruitment. Laboratories are free to conduct interviews and successful candidates will receive an email of full acceptance to the Excellence Research Internship Program.
For more information on the Excellence Research Internship Program, please contact us:
Centre Midi – CM2 348
CH – 1015 Lausanne