What’s in it for you?
The Research Internship Program offers 3-4 months internships in labs from all EPFL Schools to outstanding students enrolled in North American and UK target universities. Applications for 2020 internships are now open until 15 December 2019!
A Scholarship of Excellence will be awarded to selected candidates to cover main costs of living (free of tuition fees).
The Research Internship Program is opened to excellent students (top 10%) from one of the program’s North American and UK partner universities. We accept students at the Undergraduate/Bachelor (3rd or 4th year) or Master level. Applicants should have at least completed their 2nd year of Bachelor (undergraduate) when they start the internship. Candidates have to be enrolled as regular students at their home university when they undertake the internship. The internship should be part of their curriculum.
Interested candidates must get their home institution international exchange office’s green light to apply.
This program has been designed to establish or develop study abroad partnerships with North American and UK partners.
Applications for the Research Internship Program are now open!
Please submit your application with the following documents to [email protected] by 15 December 2019:
- Completed application form (timeline for the 3-4 months internship is flexible but placement is linked to lab availability)*
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter (maximum 1000 words)
- Official transcripts from your university or high school stating your academic results of the 2 last years up to the most recent one
- 2 reference letters from a Professor or/and previous employer (maximum 1000 words) – for confidentiality purposes, the letters can be sent directly from the reference person to [email protected]
- 1 passport-format picture in JPEG for your EPFL student card (please refer to the acceptance criteria)
- Scan of your passport
* The form includes 3 choices of labs/Professors. We will try our best to accommodate your choice but there is no guarantee that we can place you in one of your selected labs.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
Once you have submitted a complete dossier, your application will be taken into consideration. Successful candidates get a feedback from the Research Internship Program usually by the end of January of the year following their application. They will also be provided with a check-list with visa, accommodation and insurance details. For more details, please visit our Q&A page.
COMBINING AN INTERNSHIP WITH AN EXCHANGE PROGRAM
Candidates interested in a student exchange program can consider combining their exchange semester of studies with a research internship (before or after). Interested students should contact their home university international exchange office to confirm this option and send an email to researchinternships-at-epfl. Student exchange program language:
- Bachelor program: mostly taught in French 1st & 2nd year, increasing number of courses in English from 3rd year. Check out courses taught in English.
- Master program: majority of courses taught in English.
MARVEL Master’s fellowships The INSPIRE Potentials – MARVEL Master’s fellowships dedicated to female students empowers them to conduct their Master’s thesis research in a laboratory belonging to the NCCR MARVEL on “Computational Design and Discovery of Novel Materials” in order to increase their number in the field of simulation science. More information about the INSPIRE Potentials – MARVEL Master’s fellowships.
NCCR Robotics Master Scholarships for Women for female master students who wish to spend a period of 3-6 months in an NCCR Robotics lab.
Think Swiss Research Scholarship Program: Only registered students from a University in the United States or Canada can apply
Accommodation The Research Internship Program will assist successful candidates in finding a flat-sharing solution or a room.
Language International students enjoy speaking English on campus and in the laboratories whilst French is the official spoken language in this part of Switzerland. English is also widely spoken in Switzerland.
Budget For an idea of a student’s budget, please click here. Please note that this is an average budget. Interns from the Research Internship Programs don’t have to pay tuition fees.
For more information on the research internship program, please contact us:
Students that are not eligible for the Research Internship Program and that are interested in internships in specific areas have the possibility to apply to the following programs (distinct eligibility rules):