The EPFL Research Internship Program offers lab internships of three to four months to outstanding students enrolled in North American and UK target universities.
A Scholarship of Excellence will be awarded to selected candidates in order to cover main costs of living (free of tuition fees).
Applications for 2021 internships are now open!
The Research Internship Program has been designed to establish or develop study abroad partnerships with North American and UK partners.
The program is open to excellent students (top 10%) from one of the program’s North American and UK partner universities.
Students at the undergraduate/Bachelor (3rd or 4th year) or Master level are accepted. Applicants should have at least completed their 2nd year of Bachelor’s degree (undergraduate) when they start the internship. Candidates have to be enrolled as regular students at their home university when they complete the internship. The internship should be part of their curriculum.
Interested candidates must get their home institution international exchange office’s green light to apply.
Applications for the Research Internship Program 2021 are now open.
Applications must be submitted by 15 December 2020 (23:59 CET).
In general, applications must contain the following documents:
- Completed application form *
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter (maximum 1000 words)
- Official transcripts from your university or high school stating your academic results of the two last years up to the most recent one
- Two reference letters from a Professor or/and previous employer (maximum 1000 words) – deadline for reception 31 December 23:59 CET
- Passport-format picture in JPEG for your EPFL student card (please refer to the acceptance criteria)
- Scan of your passport
* Timeline for the three to four month internship is flexible, but placement is linked to lab availability. The form includes three choices of labs among 350 labs at EPFL. We will try our best to accommodate your choice, but there is no guarantee that we can place you in one of your selected labs.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
Once you have submitted a complete dossier, your application will be taken into consideration. Successful candidates get a feedback from the Research Internship Program usually by the end of January of the year following their application. They will also be provided with a check-list with visa, accommodation and insurance details.
For more details, please visit our FAQs page.
|MARVEL Master’s fellowships for female students who wish to conduct a research in a laboratory belonging to the NCCR MARVEL on “Computational Design and Discovery of Novel Materials”.|
|NCCR Robotics Master Scholarships for Women for female Master’s degree students who wish to spend a period of three to six months in an NCCR Robotics lab.|
|Think Swiss Research Scholarship Program for which only registered students from a University in the United States or Canada can apply.|
- Housing: the Research Internship Program will assist successful candidates in finding accomodation.
- Language: international students enjoy speaking English on campus and in the laboratories whilst French is the official spoken language in this part of Switzerland. English is also widely spoken in Switzerland.
- Budget: for an idea of a student’s budget, click here. Please note that this is an average budget. Interns from the Research Internship Programs do not have to pay tuition fees.
Students who are not eligible for the Research Internship Program and are interested in internships in specific areas have the possibility to apply to the following programs (distinct eligibility rules):
For more information on the research internship program, please contact us:
Centre Midi – CM2 348
CH – 1015 Lausanne