The EPFL Research Internship Program offers lab internships of three to four months to outstanding students enrolled in target universities from North America, UK and Singapore.
A Scholarship of Excellence will be awarded to selected candidates in order to cover main costs of living (free of tuition fees).
Applications for the 2022 Research Internship Program will open mid-October 2021 on this page!
The Research Internship Program has been designed to establish or develop study abroad partnerships with institutions in North America, UK and Singapore.
The program is open to excellent students (top 10%) from one of the program’s North American, UK or Singaporean partner universities.
Students at the undergraduate/Bachelor (3rd or 4th year) or Master level are accepted. Applicants should have at least completed their 2nd year of Bachelor’s degree (undergraduate) when they start the internship. Candidates have to be enrolled as regular students at their home university when they complete the internship. The internship should be part of their curriculum.
Interested candidates must get their home institution international exchange office’s green light to apply.
Applications for the 2022 Research Internship Program will open in October 2021.
In general, applications must contain the following documents and information:
- Completed application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter (maximum 1000 words)
- Official transcripts from your university stating your academic results of the last two years (or last year if you are in your second year)
- Two reference letters from a Professor and/or previous employer/research supervisor (maximum 1000 words)
- Passport-format picture in JPEG for your EPFL student card (please refer to the acceptance criteria)
- Scan of your passport
- Three choices of labs among EPFL’s 370 labs. Please carefully chose labs that your profile would fit with.
Timeline for the three to four month internship is flexible, but placement is linked to lab availability.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
EPFL hosts 370 laboratories with cutting-edge infrastructure in disciplines ranging from mathematics, physics or chemistry to life science, architecture or engineering. Browse our list of labs and chose your three favorites ones. To increase your chances of being accepted by the lab, make sure your profile is a good match. We will endeavor to accommodate your choice, but there is no guarantee that we can place you in one of your selected labs.
We do not have a list of labs interested in hosting interns because of the difficulty of keeping an updated and accurate catalogue each year.
Please note that the College of Management of Technology is a small entity and thus offers only very limited opportunities.
Once you have submitted a complete dossier, your application will be reviewed by a Committee and your labs of choice. Successful candidates usually get a feedback from the Research Internship Program by the end of January of the year following their application. They will also be provided information on visa, accommodation and insurance details.
For more details, please visit our FAQs page.
|MARVEL Master’s fellowships for female students who wish to conduct a research in a laboratory belonging to the NCCR MARVEL on Computational design and discovery of novel materials.|
|NCCR Robotics Master Scholarships for Women for female Master’s degree students who wish to spend a period of three to six months in an NCCR Robotics lab.|
|Think Swiss Research Scholarship Program for which only registered students from a University in the United States or Canada can apply.|
- Housing: the Research Internship Program will assist successful candidates in finding accomodation.
- Language: international students enjoy speaking English on campus and in the laboratories whilst French is the official spoken language in this part of Switzerland. English is also widely spoken in Switzerland.
- Budget: for an idea of a student’s budget, click here. Please note that this is an average budget. Interns from the Research Internship Program are excempte from tuition fees.
- Campus: more information on EPFL’s campus can be found here.
Students who are not eligible for the Research Internship Program and are interested in internships in specific areas have the possibility to apply to the following programs (distinct eligibility rules):
For more information on the Research Internship Program, please contact us:
Centre Midi – CM2 348
CH – 1015 Lausanne