Wednesday 30 June to Friday 2 July, 2021 – Materials Institute, EPFL & CSEM Neuchâtel
“It was great to have theoretical and experimental parts in the same course.”
- Introduction to some basic methods used for powder characterisation, particle size measurement and a brief introduction to powder dispersion and suspension characterisation.
- Brief discussion of the fundamental theories behind the methods and their limitations.
- Measurement of real samples and correct interpretation of the results collected.
- Presentation of in-house protocols for reproducible and reliable measurements (towards metrology).
- Examples of “real” powders in applications and the influence of their intrinsic characteristics.
- Presentation of in-house software and models for interparticle interactions and yield stress prediction.
This course may be validated for 1 ECTS credit in the doctoral programs of EPFL and ETHZ after acceptance by the corresponding institution. The credit will be attributed to students who pass the examination held on 2 July 2021 after the course.
Prof. Paul Bowen (EPFL), Dr. Olha Sereda (CSEM)
Who should attend
Academic and industrial engineers, PhD students and researchers.
The number of participants is limited to 12.
Registration and fees
Registration is only possible through the form found here. Please note that payment is now required upon registration using the PayOnLine platform, which accepts major credit cards, PayPal and Twint. Course fees being paid directly by an EPFL laboratory may be paid by account transfer – please contact Carey Sargent if you are an EPFL student and prefer this method of payment.
Tuition, lunches and coffee breaks are included in the fees.
PhD students from EPFL, ETH Zurich, PSI, Empa and CSEM: CHF 360.-
Other academic participants: CHF 460.-
All other participants: CHF 1,500.-
Wednesday 30 June 2021 – Room DIA 004, EPFL
|09:00||Welcome & introduction to the course|
|09:15||Particle Size Measurement|
|11:00||Specific Methods and Practical Examples|
|14:00||Practical Studies: Particle Size Measurement Equipment|
|16:00||Image analysis / Shape Analysis|
|17:30||End of first day|
Thursday 1 July 2021 – at CSEM in Neuchâtel
|09:30||Specific Surface Area and Porosity|
|11:30||X-ray Powder Diffraction|
|14:00||X-ray Powder Diffraction|
|16:00||Visit of instruments /practical session|
|17:30||End of day two|
Friday 02 July 2021 – Room DIA 004, EPFL
|09:00||Particle Dispersion and Suspension Characterisation|
|11:00||Yield stress model, accounting for particle size distributions, aggregates and absorbed surface layers|
|11:45||Practical studies: Specific Surface Area and Porosity|
|15:30||Concluding remarks, discussion|
|16:00||End of course|
16:15 – 17:15
|Exam for doctoral school credits|