Announce an event
- Go to memento.epfl.ch and click on “Announce an event” or “Login” (button on the bottom right of the page) using your GASPAR credentials and click on the menu “My events > Create a new event announcement”.
- Write your announcement (only the title and date are mandatory).
- You can save your announcement in different ways:
- “Save” saves the announcement data.
- “Save & Close” saves the announcement for ulterior use (a saved announcement is invisible as long as it hasn’t been published.)
- “Save & Publish” sends a submission request in the relevant mementos.
- Wait for the publication confirmation.
The memento is bilingual.
If you choose not to translate your announcement, select the most appropriate language for it (e.g. if a conference is held in English, it is natural to write any related announcement in English).
The announcement will automatically appear in both languages (even without translation).
If you wish to write your announcement in both languages, you must fill in the two tabs in the editing page. Do not create another announcement for the other language.
The title is the most important part of your announcement, and it is mandatory.
As it is used in all search engines, it must be well written: precise, concise and everyone must understand it.
Its length is limited to 500 characters.
You can add further information for your announcement in this field.
Remember that the reader has no clue of what you are doing: be clear and give information about your event’s context.
The date of your event is mandatory.
If the event lasts a few days, both the beginning and end dates must be indicated. If it only lasts one day, these two dates must be identical. By default, the end date will be copied from the beginning date.
It is also possible to indicate a time of start or finish.
If your event is in several parts (like a conference composed of different interventions), choose the announcement option for grouped events.
Indicate the name of the place where the event is held.
For every event held on the EPFL campus, please fill the URL field with a link to the web application plan.epfl.ch. That way, the user can easily find his way to the event.
- If the venue is not located on EPFL campuses, you can add an external geolocation web address.
- If the venue is on the EPFL campuses, including the antennas, just type the first letters designating the room, (eg MA C), then select the corresponding room. The hyperlink to the dynamic map is added automatically.
Only the speaker’s name must be written. If there are more than one speaker, the names must be separated by a comma.
TIP : add a link towards the speaker’s personal page (e.g. their personal page on people.epfl.ch/name.surname if they are EPFL members).
TIP : add a link towards the organiser’s page.
It is useful to mention a contact person, as (s)he can answer people’s questions.
Each announcement can be part of only one category, which lets us have a selection during the memento’s consultation. If an announcement appears in different places, it will always have the same label.
The different possible categories are:
- Conferences, seminars
- Assemblies, councils, management
- Special events
- Inaugural et honorary lesson
- Cultural events
- Sporting events
- EPFL – business meetings
- Thesis defences
- Academic calendar
- Sciences Activities for Youth
- Public Science Events
Choose the event’s research area if it is a scientific event. The “area list” (scientific expertise or research) is that established by the faculties.
When an announcement is tagged in a specific area, is does NOT mean that it will be published in a memento linked to this area.
You can specify the event’s theme using keywords, which can be useful when searching for the event.
If you want to enter several themes, please separate them using a comma.
This is a free field, which is mostly used for web services (e.g. RSS feed). It enables us to split the feed up in several parts (layout, personalized selection of events).
To group several events in the same filter, the keyword in each announcement’s filter must be exactly identical.
This field is used to indicate the event’s difficulty level.
Is it accessible to all public, for people who know the subject in general or for experts in the subject?
This field indicates how people are invited to the event.
Is it open to everyone, can we only access it on invitation or do we need to subscribe to the event?
Lets us describe whether the event is internal, in which case an external public will not be admitted.
To add a link towards a webpage:
- The “wording” field lets you put a random text as a link.
- In the “URL” field, you must enter the link’s address (e.g. http://www.epfl.ch).
For your announcement to have more impact, you can add a picture (e.g. the speaker’s portrait).
To import your picture, click on the camera icon. The picture must be in a .jpg, .gif or .png format and 1440 x 810 px.
If your picture is too big or if you want to focus on a detail, use the “crop” tool
“Choose a picture” lets you replace an existing picture while “Delete” deletes it
When you add a picture, it is essential to add it’s description, making it accessible to the visually impaired and to search engines.
It is best to put the mort important information in the conference’s description and to add secondary information in an attached file.
The attached file must be in a .pdf or .doc format.
The “Browse” button lets you retrieve the document on you computer.
“Create an under-event” lets you associate your event to a group of events (cf. “How to create an under-event”).