- You must have been selected by your home university, which has to be a partner institution of EPFL.
- We expect that you register for a minimum of 20 ECTS credits (European Credits Transfer System)
One French course of 3 ECTS can count towards the 20 ECTS.
- An exchange to attend courses at EPFL is authorized for one semester or a full academic year. The exchange cannot exceed two semesters.
- It is recommended to have good command of French and/or English (level B2). Bachelor courses are mainly taught in French and Master courses are mainly taught in English.
No language certificate is required for an exchange at EPFL. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have sufficient knowledge of French and/or English to follow the courses.
- Restricted courses/projects: the courses and projects listed here are not accessible to exchange students in 2018-19.
- The number of exchange students in the sections Management of Technology and Financial Engineering are limited. A special request has to be submitted by the partner university to the EPFL Student Exchange Office. Kindly complete the online application form only once you have received the approval from the EPFL Student Exchange Office and if you agree with the conditions of admission of MTE or FE. If you are not authorized to take courses in these two sections and still register for classes at the beginning of the semester, your inscription will be cancelled two weeks after the beginning of courses.
- Language course: You are authorized to take French classes only. The EPFL offers an intensive French course in summer and a semi-intensive course in winter. These courses enable new students to strengthen their French knowledge and facilitate their integration. French courses during the semesters cannot be guaranteed to exchange students. Credits obtained for French courses do not appear in the official transcript of records. An attestation mentioning the language course credits can be requested at the Language Center.
- Exams take place on specific dates. Extramuros exams can be requested, but only under certain conditions. This request must be officialised via this form no later than 2 weeks after the beginning of the semester.
- As exchange students you must observe the same rules as regular EPFL students in regard to registration for lectures, exams, use of computers, etc…
- Exchange students from partner universities are exempted from paying the tuition fees at EPFL.