The SNSF Starting Grants 2024 target researchers who wanted to apply for a 2024 ERC Starting Grant in replacement of this funding scheme.
Institute of Physics
This document describes the process for getting support from the Institute of Physics (IPHYS) to apply as an external candidate or as an IPHYS (non-professor) scientist. EPFL professors can refer to the SNSF Starting Grants application toolkit for their own application process.
IPHYS accepts both external and internal candidates. SNSF Starting Grant applicants who would like to be hosted at IPHYS must first be approved by the hosting institute according to the process described below.
For the purpose of the internal selection process, a professor of the institute needs to endorse the application. SNSF Starting Grant applicants should therefore first obtain the support from an IPHYS professor (called the supporting professor in the following).
Upon successful application, SNSF Starting Grant awardees will receive the title of Assistant Professor (non tenure-track). They head their own research group and supervise the PhD students involved in their project. SNSF Starting Grant awardees receive 100 kCHF of start-up funds.
Description of the selection process
The supporting professor is responsible to ensure that the candidate they support is of outstanding quality. The supporting professor also needs to state in an endorsement letter (using the template provided below) either that they commit to provide the necessary space and infrastructure for the success of the proposed project, or they need to provide a list of required lab (with specifications) and office space, and infrastructure. Finally, the supporting professor must be ready to take over the supervision of the involved PhD students should the grant holder leave EPFL, and commit to provide the extra resources that may be needed to complete the PhD theses.
The IPHYS selection is based on the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence
- Availability of resources
- Strategic and synergetic advantage for IPHYS.
The procedure proceeds as follows:
- Candidates apply by uploading their file in PDF form https://facultyrecruiting.epfl.ch/position/51281923
IPHYS deadline: 21/11/2023
- Applications should include the following documents (all in pdf format): CV, publication list, short summary of main achievements to date (max. 1 page), outline of proposed project (max. 3 pages), reasons for IPHYS as host (max. 1 page), endorsement letter from the supporting professor (using the template provided below), budget using the budget calculator provided in the toolkit.
- Based on the files provided by the candidates, the Executive Committee and Director of the institute will decide which candidates are supported by IPHYS to submit an application at the SNSF. This list of candidates will be proposed to the SB Dean who takes the final decision.
- SB will provide the list of supported candidates to the Research Office who will send the candidates the EPFL General confirmation letter.
The application toolkit is available here and contains all details. Please read all the documents carefully, follow the instructions and make sure that your application file fulfils all the requirements. Incomplete files will not be considered. If you have questions regarding the IPHYS procedure, please contact Blandine Jérôme ([email protected], +41 21 69 33376). If you have questions regarding the application toolkit, please contact the Research Office ([email protected]).
Timeline & deadlines
IPHYS deadlines are at midnight (23h59) on the indicated date. Files received after the deadline will not be considered.
IPHYS pre-application deadline: November 21st, 2023
SNSF application deadline: February 1st, 2024 (17h)