Two semester projects are done in an EPFL research lab involved in computational sciences, at least one, outside the section of mathematics. Semester projects introduce student to R&D in Computational Science. They build largely upon the scientific and technical knowledge acquired during the curriculum and are meant to serve as a preparation for the Master’s research project. A Master’s teacher proposes a project topic and, together with the student, elaborates the project plan.
Please also visit the SMA webpage for projects
Every CSE student has to carry out two semester projects during his Master. We encourage the perspective graduate to complete an industrial internship. The aim is to bring Master’s students in contact with the professional work environment in the industry. Interested students have to look for their internship, which has to be accepted by the Advisory Board and the supervised by a teacher of the program. An internship may take 8 weeks during summer time or spring break, or be carried out just before the Master’s Thesis.
The Computational Science Master’s program is concluded by a scientific thesis. The thesis is aimed at enhancing the student’s capability to work independently towards the salutation of a R&D problem in computational science. The subject of the Master’s thesis, as well as the project plan, are proposed and supervised by a teacher of the program. The Master’s thesis involves a workload of one semester.
Directives for the inscription with the semester and master projects in Computational Science and Engineering CSE
- How to choose a semester project or master
- Consult the project proposals (link) of the various institutes and laboratories
- Meet the professor responsible of the project and define the objectives of work to be achieved
- Make sure that the professor responsible of the project is a lecturer in the CSE Master
- If the professor is not a lecturer in the CSE Master
- The project is subjected to authorization of the CSE scientific adjoint.
- Registration with the CSE scientific adjoint
- Hand to the CSE scientific adjoint a project description with: the name of the responsible professor, the title and a description of the foreseen work. The CSE component of the project must be significant.
- Registration on IS-ACADEMIA
- Register as soon as possible on IS-ACADEMIA
- Print your register form
- Make it sign by the professor responsible for the project
- The registration on IS-ACADEMIA is official and imperative. Take care to respect the deadline!
- Hand to the administration of the section a copy of your IS-ACADEMIA registration, signed by the professor responsible for the project.
- Project description
- At the beginning of your project, the responsible gives you an explanatory leaflet with the objectives and the work to be realized
- Deadline for handing in the projects
- Check on IS-Academia. The deadline is usually before the start of the exam session.