The Soil Mechanics Laboratory (LMS) has its own library equipped with more than 2,000 books, research theses, technical journals/articles, etc. from various fields of soil mechanics and related topics.
LMS-LMR staff have access to this searching tool (EPFL network or through VPN).
Following is a list of some of the technical articles/documents from the Soil and Rock Mechanics Laboratories (LMS and LMR) of the EPFL. This includes extracts from the research papers, slides presented during the conferences organised by the LMS and LMR, and pedagogical documents. All of these documents, in PDF format, are copyrighted® materials. So, if you choose to download and reproduce any of these documents (partly or completely) in your reports/publications, you MUST give reference to its source document mentioning its name, author's name(s), edition year, etc.
Research in Soil Mechanics
- Characterisation of the behaviour of soils in stress space
- Continuous distance measurement by laser (DICLAS)
- The action of frost on foundations
- Geotextiles used as reinforcing
- Debris flows: analysis of initial phases
- Slope instability and climate changes
- Modelling natural slopes in slow movement
- Predicting slope movements using artificial neural networks
- Hydromechanical behaviour of unsaturated soils
- Elastic characteristics of soils by acoustic sounding
- Monitoring of geostructures using fibre optics
- Prevention of disasters related to unstable slopes in Peru
Research in Rock Mechanics
- Rock abrasivity
- Time dependent rock behaviour
- Decision aids in tunneling
- Finite elements in geotechnical engineering
- Numerical simulations of dam foundations in rock masses
- Hydromechanical behaviour of rock joints
- Impact of falling blocks
- Instrumentation, monitoring and numeral study of an experimental nailed wall
- Triaxial press Triroc
- Reinforcement of rock masses
- Geomechanical behaviour of cataclastic rocks
- Expert systems in geotechnical engineering
- Shallow tunnels
- Tunnels in saturated porous media
Common Documents from the LMS & LMR
- Sixty years of geotechnical engineering
- Laboratory tests
- Doctoral theses
- Standardisation work
- Services provided
- Publications database research (1994-99)
Conference Papers (in French)
- Frost-permafrost: Problems of frost (Colloque, M. Dysli, LMS & LMR, 16-11-1995)
- VSS and CEN: New geotechnical standards (Colloque, M. Dysli, LMS & LMR, 13-01-1998)
- The ice caves of the Jura (Colloque, M. Dysli, LMS & LMR, 12-06-1998)
- Loss of bearing capacity of roads during thaw and debris flows in the mountain permafrost (Colloque, M. Dysli, LMS & LMR, 01-12-1998)
Lectures (in French)
- B2.2- Mécanique des sols: This course on soil mechanics was delivered by Michel Dysli from 1994 to 1997 to the postgraduate students of the EPFL in the course “Engineering & Environmental Geology, GAIE”.
- B3.5- Introduction aux éléments finis: This course on introduction to the finite element method was delivered by Michel Dysli from 1994 to 1997 to the postgraduate students of the EPFL in the course “Engineering & Environmental Geology, GAIE”.
- Course “gel ENAC 2006” : these documents were distributed during the course: “Climatologie pour ingénieurs et architectes” given in 2006 by Michel Dysli.
For your Entertainment
Rhéologie du géotechnicien (in French)