Are eligible to apply:
- Holders of a bachelor’s degree in engineering or in a scientific discipline such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or Life Sciences.
Holders of a degree of a Swiss University of Applied Sciences are not eligible to apply for the MTE Master.
- High level of intellectual ability
- Strong analytical skills
- Solid background in statistics, probability theory and linear algebra
- Proficiency in English (The curriculum of the MTE program is entirely in English). Success in an international examination of English such as the TOEFL is a plus, but not mandatory for admission to the MTE.
Specific requirements for EPFL students
- a minimum average grade of 4.5 (average grade over the entire Bachelor’s). This criteria is however not a guarantee of admission as the quality of the application, the relevance of the followed bachelor’s compared to the Master’s of interest, and the motivation of the candidate will also be assessed by the admission committee.
Current EPFL bachelor students who have applied for the MTE Master and who have not been admitted to the program will nonetheless be accepted in the Master program of their original field of study.
The curriculum of the MTE Master includes a mandatory disciplinary minor that must be followed in the field of the bachelor by selecting Master level courses in one of the Master’s programs offered at EPFL.
The field of the disciplinary minor is decided by the MTE admission committee but before applying, the candidates must verify if their field of study is taught at EPFL by checking the list of possible disciplinary minors.
- Minors in Financial Engineering and in Management, Technology & Entrepreneurship are not open to MTE master students.
- Holders of a Master’s degree in Engineering or in one of the above-mentioned scientific disciplines will have to do the Minor in Systems Engineering.
- A disciplinary or an interdisciplinary minor can also be chosen, with the prior approval of the MTE section. If the disciplinary minor is chosen, it must be made in a different field than that of the master.
Applications must be filled out online:
- from the beginning of November to the 15th of December, or
- from the 16th of December to the 15th of April.
Applicants who, if accepted, would need a visa to study in Switzerland are strongly advised to apply by the January deadline to allow for the completion of the visa procedure, which can take up to 3 months.
Admission decisions are made jointly by the MTE section and EPFL’s admissions committee based on quantitative standards, including grade-point average, letters of recommendation, and the candidate’s background and motivation letter.
- Decisions are sent in early April for applications registered by the 15th of December and at the end of June for the applications registered by the 15th of April.
Regardless of which deadline you choose to meet, the MTE Master begins in mid-September following acceptance. Only one application per student and per year will be processed.
An intensive-language course is offered to all accepted candidates. It starts 4 weeks before the beginning of the semester.
To graduate from the MTE Master, students need to obtain 120 credits divided into 90 credits for coursework and 30 credits for the Master’s thesis.