Current Institutional Responsibilities
- Director, Digital Humanities Institute (DHI), College of the Humanities (CdH), since 2015.
- Director a.i., Section of Digital Humanities (SoDH), in charge of the Master in Digital Humanities, since 2015.
- Member of the IC Faculty Promotion Committee, since 2015.
- Member of the UNIL-EPFL Digital Humanities Steering Committee, since 2016.
- Member of the EPFL Equal Opportunities Steering Committee, since 2016.
- Member of the EPFL Innovation Council, since 2017.
Current Memberships in Panels, Boards, etc.
- Member of the Board of the SRG SSR (Swiss Radio and Television), since 2018.
- Member of the Comité d’orientation scientifique, projet régional Ouest Industries Créatives, Université de Nantes, France, since 2017.
- EPFL representative on the Swiss National Science Foundation Board and its Committee, since 2016.
- EPFL representative on the Board of E-codices – Virtual Manuscript Library of Switzerland, since 2016.
- President of the EPFL WISH Foundation, since 2014. Founding Member and Member of the Board since 2006.
- Committee member of the GI-Dissertationspreis (Best CS thesis from DE, AU, and CH), since 2011.
Technology and Knowledge Transfer Activities
- Largo, a spin-off company from IVRL, provides a distribution platform for short films (2017).
- Darix, a spin-off company from IVRL, offers augmented vision solutions for critical applications (2017).
- EyeEm acquired our spin-off sight.io that provided image rankings based on computational aesthetics (2014).
- Croppola is an on-line tool to intelligently crop and recompose photos (2012).
- IVRL participated with an interactive module at “The Digital Revolution” exhibit, shown at the Swiss Camera Museum in Vevey, April 23, 2010 – December 2016.
- IVRL participated with several interactive modules, especially The Flux, at the We are all Photographers Now! exhibit shown at Lausanne’s photography museum, the Musée de l’Élysee, February 8th – May 20th, 2007 and the New York Photo Festival, May 13-17, 2009.
Honors and Awards
- IEEE Fellow (2017) for contributions to computational imaging, color image processing, and color computer vision.
- IS&T Fellow (2014) for outstanding contributions and research leadership in the fields of photography, image processing, and computer vision.
- IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging Scientist of the Year (2013), for seminal contributions to color imaging, computational photography, and image analysis.
- IS&T Senior Member (2008), for long term service to the society.
- Research Fellowship (1992), Harris Corporation, RIT.\\
- Photography Award (1990), Kuratorium für Kulturförderung, Canton of Solothurn.
- For Best Paper awards, see the Publications page.