Getting a cantonal tax refund
If you are a B permit holder, you are then eligible for a tax refund from the Canton de Vaud.
The deadline for submitting your refund request for the fiscal year 2020 is set to March 31st, 2021.
We provide below the necessary links and forms for you to proceed with a refund.
(The documents for the fiscal year 2020 are now available)
- Instructions for tax declaration-B Permit Holders.pdf
- Form “Avis d’Imposition à la source” (Cantonal Form for tax deduction) to fill out
- Webpage from canton de Vaud on the tax deduction
The instructions for tax declaration is based on a model from 2016, but is still valid. The form has changed slightly, but is still very similar. In the Canton de Vaud Webpage, you are concerned by the section “Contestation et demande de rectification des retenues d’impôt à la source (déclaration d’impôt simplifiée)”
Please note that certain numbers may have changed concerning third pillar and public transport deductions. Find the latest numbers in the instruction document for this year.
Also note that one must take télétravail into account when declaring your transportation and food deductions. You cannot claim meals eaten at home as “repas hors domicile” and you cannot claim transport costs for days that you did not commute to work.
You can send back the filled out documents to:
Administration Cantonale des impôts
Section de l’impôt à la source
Rue Caroline 9 bis
The PolyDoc committee would like to stress that it is in no way an expert in the Swiss Federal/ Cantonal tax system, and cannot act as a tax advisor. The PolyDoc committee thus decline any responsibility in the handling of fiscal issues, and in particular on potential Cantonal tax refunds. Solicitations for advices over tax issues will not be considered.
Interesting Discounts for PhDs
One of the advantages of the PhD status is that you still are a student! Beyond staying at university, this also means that you can claim discounts in many different stores and restaurants.
This page aims at listing various discount opportunities. Any extra suggestions are of course welcome, by mail or through our WishBox.
- The CAMIPRO webpage lists various discounts opportunities outside EPFL, including car rentals, sports equipment, cinemas and more.
- EPFL subsidizes monthly or yearly travel passes for public transports. On myCAMIPRO, EPFL employees can get up to a 25% discount coupon on transport passes. It will be valid when purchasing your pass in a point of sale (SBB, TL, …) nearby.
- The SBB seven25 Travelcard allows people under 25 to enjoy unlimited travel anywhere in Switzerland from 7pm to 5am for only 390 CHF/year
Sesame, EPFL’s financial online portal
SESAME is EPFL’s financial online portal.
You can find on this website many relevant information and possibilities, such as:
- Your monthly and yearly payment slips, including those necessary for tax declaration (Swiss nationals) or tax refunds (B permit holders, see section “Saving Money”)
- Reimbursement of professional expenses
- Camipro automatic monthly recharge directly from your salary
- Ordering of various professional material, with negotiated EPFL discounts
And many other possibilities. For more information, the link to the website is provided below: