Our laboratory frequently hosts students from EPFL, other Swiss Universities, and abroad for various types of projects and internships, be they related or unrelated to an academic course. If you would like to do a project or an internship, please closely follow the instructions below.
Please send an email to Oliver Kannape ([email protected]) who is a senior scientist at the LNCO and manages student projects in the lab. In the main text of your email, please provide the following information:
- Which University program are you enrolled in? (e.g. masters bachelor student in SV)
- Which project type would you be interested in doing? (e.g. master project, semester project, lab immersion, free internship, etc.)
- What is the regular length of this project and how many ECTS credits does it give rise to? (e.g. 3 weeks full-time, 8 ECTS credits)
- What are the deliverables and deadlines, if any (e.g. oral presentation of results during the time of the project and a written report max 2 weeks after the end of the project)
- When would you like to start and end? (e.g. February 1 until May 31, 2019, full-time)
- Briefly state which types of projects you would be interested in particular (you can give more detail in the motivation letter, see below).
In addition, please attach to your email you CV (in English) as well as a motivation letter (also in English). Your application will then be reviewed. We will take into account your background and interests and in the case of an available project, we will contact by email you to propose it to you. In that case, you will be put into contact directly with your future supervisor (generally a PhD or Post-doc from the lab) with whom you can discuss the details.
Specific requirements for students from external universities
In addition to the information and documents mentioned above, students from external (non-EPFL) universities will be required to provide the following information:
- Two referees willing to be contacted to provide information about the quality of the applicant
- Information about your funding. Do you have your own funding, or do you intend to ask for a grant?
Please note that due to considerable administrative paperwork, students external to the EPFL will only be considered for projects/internships lasting at least 6 months. Also, please note that the applicant will be required to take personally care of administrative affairs related to visas/residence permits, insurances and registration at EPFL (if required). You can find extensive information on the procedures here: http://sae.epfl.ch/exchange-incoming. Please note that our lab is actually located in the canton of Geneva and not Vaud (where the main campus is located). In that sense, the visas/residence permits will have to be dealt with in Geneva. We will, of course, provide any necessary documents along the way so that you can advance with the administrative affairs.
Projects at MindMaze SA
MindMaze is a R&D company based in Lausanne (Switzerland) that combines immersive virtual reality, brain imaging and robotics to build novel platforms for neurorehabilitation and game training. It is developing unique hardware and software architectures for tailored solutions across diverse applications. Its multidisciplinary team brings together expertise in microelectronics, brain-computer interfaces, computer vision, cognitive neuroscience, virtual reality, robotics, and design for manufacturing and regulatory/quality management for medical devices.
MindMaze is currently offering projects in the following domains:
- Patient data analysis and statistics
- Statistical inference on brain imaging data
- Human body motion tracking
- Database synchronization and cloud architecture
- Graphical user interfaces for medical products
- 3D rendering libraries and drivers
- Embedded hardware (VHDL, microcontroller)
- Industrial design
The students will intensively participate in research and development of hardware, software and expose to medical device regulatory/quality procedures as well as clinical validation under expert supervision. Join the team by writing your interests along with your CV to [email protected] Visit website for more details of the company www.mindmaze.ch.