- This project is a collaboration between APHYS and the Eawag department: Surface Waters – Research and Management. The focus of this research is to understand the intensity and temporal dynamics of oxygen depletion in the hypolimnion of lakes, as a response to the in-situ biogenic productivity of organic matter.
The goal of this interdisciplinary research study is to:
– quantify the areal hypolimnetic mineralization rate (AHM) as a function the lake-topographies and nutrient supply (level of trophy)
– characterise the reaction of AHM during the current oligotrophication
– identify the locations of AHM in the hypolimnion
– relate AHM and sediment oxygen uptake with the organic matter content in the sediment
Figure shows two oxygen microprofiles across the water–sediment–interface and the DBL thickness in 45 m (blue) and 133 m depth (red) in Lake Geneva.
- Schwefel, R., Gaudard, A., Wüest, A., and Bouffard, D. ( 2016), Effects of climate change on deepwater oxygen and winter mixing in a deep lake (Lake Geneva): Comparing observational findings and modeling, Water Resour. Res., 52, 8811– 8826, doi:10.1002/2016WR019194.
Schwefel, R., Steinsberger, T., Bouffard, D., Bryant, L.D., Müller, B. and Wüest, A. (2018), Using small‐scale measurements to estimate hypolimnetic oxygen depletion in a deep lake. Limnol. Oceanogr., 63: S54-S67. doi:10.1002/lno.10723
Schwefel, R., Hondzo, M., Wüest, A., and Bouffard, D. ( 2017), Scaling oxygen microprofiles at the sediment interface of deep stratified waters, Geophys. Res. Lett, 44, 1340– 1349, doi:10.1002/2016GL072079.
Müller, B., T. Steinsberger, R. Schwefel, R. Gächter, M. Sturm, A. Wüest (2019). Oxygen consumption in seasonally stratified lakes decreases only below a marginal phosphorus threshold. Scientific Reports 9: 18054. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-54486-3
Steinsberger, T., M. Schmid, A. Wüest, R. Schwefel, B. Wehrli, B. Müller (2017). Organic carbon mass accumulation rate regulates the flux of reduced substances from the sediments of deep lakes. Biogeosciences 14(13), 3275-3285. https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-14-3275-2017
Kiefer Steinsberger Wüest Müller Sauerstoffzehrung AG 2020