Authors: Prof. Dr. Yves Weinand, Dr. Aryan Rezaei Rad, Dr. Petras Vestartas.
Short Description: Transdisciplinary approach in structural design and digital architecture of timber structures with advanced manufacturing workflow.
- Introduction to advanced timber construction
- Case studies in advanced timber plate structures
- Advanced timber construction and large-scale structures
- Digital architecture and advanced geometry processing
- Engineering design and simulation methods in timber plate structures
- Optimization methods
About this course
The proposed MOOC intends to foster trans-disciplinary design approach in Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) for timber structures. It outlines an innovative and sustainable methodology with examples from recent construction projects.
The primary development goal for this MOOC is to spread the innovative design approach in AEC we developed at EPFL. Therefore, the MOOC results from the compilation of five doctoral theses, research-industry technology transfer with our industry partner, and a flagship structural system with has been constructed. Accordingly, it will be beneficial for not only graduate students but also industrial professionals and civil engineering, architecture, and construction society.
The MOOC will introduce its audience the development a set of computational tools for geometry processing, mesh and network processing, computer-aided structural engineering design, and digital fabrication. The aim is to introduce a teaching module that systematically transfers both academic findings and industrial experience to the professional society. It also covers technological advancements of advanced timber construction and real-world applications. The latter, specifically, could be inspiring not only for graduate students, but also for professional engineers and architects.
What you’ll learn
- Technological advancements in timber construction,
- Innovative timber construction in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) sector.
- A structural design methodology for spatial timber shells
- Algorithmic-aided structural design.
- Joinery generation using Joinery Solver Algorithm
- Global geometry generation algorithm.
- Case studies, real-world applications, and flagship large-scale timber structures.