The FIMAP laboratory is part of the Institute of Materials (IMX) at EPFL and pursue fundamental and applied research in the field of photonic devices and fiber technology. In particular, at the heart of our research is the development of innovative materials processing approaches, as well as novel device architectures, to realize micro- and nanostructure-based photonic devices to be deployed over unconventional substrates (large area, 1D, flexible, stretchable, etc..). Two major approaches are favored: one relies on innovative combinations of nano-imprinting strategies of polymer and sol-gel layers, with thin-film deposition techniques to realize multi-material nanostructured photonic systems over large area substrates. Another approach explores the emerging field of multi-material fibers where materials with a wide range of functionalities such as optic, optoelectronic or acoustic, can be integrated in precise nanostructured arrangements within thin, flexible and very long fiber substrates. While we study the fundamental aspects of the material processes at play in our different fabrication techniques, as well as the optical and optoelectronic properties of our devices, we also try to exploit our discoveries to propose new solutions in different fields of application such as energy harvesting, saving and storage, sensing and monitoring, health care and smart fabrics.
- 03/08/2020 Wei Yan and Inès Richard published their paper in Nature Nanotechnology: Structured nanoscale metallic glass fibres with extreme aspect ratios. The work was highlighted in the EPFL news. Congratulations!
- 15/07/2020 Chaoqun Dong’s paper entitled “High-efficiency super-elastic liquid metal based triboelectric fibers and textiles” is published in Nature Communications. The study was featured in the blog of the Nature Device and Materials Engineering Community. Congrats, Chaoqun!
- 02/06/2020 Andreas Leber published his paper in Nature Electronics: Soft and stretchable liquid metal transmission lines as distributed probes of multimodal deformations. The work was featured in the EPFL News and in the blog of the Nature Device and Materials Engineering Community. Congratulations, Andi!
- 06/05/2020 Wei Yan’s paper entitled “Advanced Multimaterial Electronic and Optoelectronic Fibers and Textiles” published in Advanced Materials is among the top 10% most downloaded papers and receives Highly Cited Paper! Congratulations on receiving wide recognition in the community.
- 14/02/2020 Shahrzad Shadman’s paper is published in Advanced Functional Materials: Microstructured biodegradable fibers for advanced control delivery. Congratulations, Shahrzad!
- 04/12/2019 Chaoqun Dong and Andreas Leber attended 2019 MRS Fall Meeting in Boston. Both of them gave oral presentations in the symposium of Electronic Textiles.
- 29/11/2019 Andreas Leber obtained the best poster award on EPFL EDMX Research Day 2019. Congratulations, Andi!
- 29/10/2019 Andreas Leber’s paper is published in Advanced Functional Materials: Compressible and Electrically Conducting Fibers for Large-Area Sensing of Pressures. Congratulations, Andi!!
- 18/02/2019 Tapajyoti Das Gupta and Louis Martin-Monier published a paper in Nature Nanotechnology: Self-assembly of nanostructured glass metasurfaces via templated fluid instabilities. Nature Nanotechnology news & views can be found here. And EPFL news on this work can be found here. Congratulations!
- 15/02/2019 Federica Sordo’s paper is published in Advanced Materials: Microstructured Fibers for the Production of Food. Congratulations, Fede!
- 01/01/2019 Dr. Rajasundar Chandran is joining FIMAP as a postdoc. Welcome!
- 09/10/2018 Wei Yan’s paper is published in The Journal of Physical Chemistry C: Direct Synthesis of Selenium Nanowire Mesh on a Solid Substrate and Insights into Ultrafast Photocarrier Dynamics. Congratulations!
- Prof. Fabien Sorin received the Polysphere of STI 2017-2018 for excellence in teaching from the AGEPoly, according to EPFL student votes. Congratulations!
- 01/10/2018 William Esposito is joining FIMAP as a new PhD student. Welcome!
- 11/09/2018 Wei Yan’s paper is published in Advanced Materials: Advanced Multimaterial Electronic and Optoelectronic Fibers and Textiles. Congratulations!
- 05/2018 Prof. Sorin receives the QIAN Baojun Fiber Award for young scholar.